1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer suddenly shuts down...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nite, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nite

Nite Thread Starter

Hi,

My other computer suddenly shut down while i was playing a game. Then i smelled a burning odor. I tried turning on the computer again but it wouldnt turn on so i opened the case and felt the hardwares. The power supply and the harddrive were hot.

What happened to my computer? how do i fix this?

Thank-you.

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

have a look and see if you can see anything burnt on the motheboard.
    powersupplies and HD are HOT - how hot - remember they do run very hot hence the fans.

when you turn on - do any fans spin up or lights come on - if not its likely to be the PSU.

you could try disconnecting the PSU from the MoBo and other devices and then switch on and see if fan in psu runs.

otherwise you probably need a meter to check if the psu is working.

whats the make/model of the PC and then maybe someone can advise more on parts etc.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

You can't turn on an ATX powersupply if you disconnect it from the motherbaord. I would suggest trying another powersupply or disconnecting all drives from the powersupply and see if powers up - let it cool down first. You could have also fried the CPU - see if the fan spins on if the machine shows some life in it. I'm assuming there are no beeps?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216656