1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Suddenly Shuts Down

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MeaningOL, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MeaningOL

MeaningOL Thread Starter

Greetings-- my previous problem was wonderfully solved here, so am hoping help with new problem will be successful.

This past week I've suddenly developed a problem where without any warning the computer will shut off. The 'power' button on the PCU will go to an amber, and will not respond to repeated pressings. The only way I'm able to get it back on again is to cut the machine off at the power strip, then press the power button. I've run some various system scans, and nothing turns up.

I am using Windows XP, have a Gateway computer, and have NO CLUE about what is going on. Many thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. Please let me know what more information I need to provide for consideration.

THANKS,
    MOL

2. Lesliect6

Lesliect6

Hi there!

Before I can help you in any way, I would like you to give information on your computer, such as service packs are installed or not, do you get any error messages, have you been experiencing speed problems with the pc lately, or have you been fiddling with the registry( :) ). Thank you!
    Looking forward to helping you!

Leslie CT

3. BratDawg

BratDawg Carla

Also have you run virus & spyware scans?

It may be something as simple as your power supply failing or one of the fans on your case or processor not working (you can tell about those by popping the case and seeing if they're all spinning properly when power is to the system).

Has it been making any strange noises?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/423189