1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer suddenly shuts off, won't turn back on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kern417, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kern417

kern417 Thread Starter

I use an HP Pavillion dv5003cl Notebook I have owned since April 2006. I have had several problems with it and I think this might have been the last straw. I hope there is a fix for it because I cant afford a new laptop just yet so any help will be appreciated.

Yesterday i was using my laptop conncected to a 500 GB WD external hard drive. I began hearing this high pictched whine and I assumed it was my fan since it had been on for a while. suddenly it shut off, as if I had pulled out the battery. Pressed the power button several times but it did nothing. Then i noticed the high pitched noise was still audible (and more annoying than ever). Turned out it was coming from the power supply, primarily the big brick shaped section. It is the 3rd power cord I've owned, all my other ones keep breaking or stop working.

Anyway I dont think it's the problem because i have used another power cord and it didnt charge the battery or allow the computer to power up. I have also tried the 'hold power button for 30 sec then connect power and turn on then connect battery' routine to discharge any power in the comp but to no avail. Is it dead or is there a way i can fix it?

Man I never thought buying this pda phone 3 weeks ago would be so helpful...well now I'm stuck with it as my only means for internet access ): please help!

2. Compiler

Compiler

Try this... without the defective PSU(Power Supply) or any other power source plugged into the notebook.

Then try the 30-sec, no-battery installed thing.

With your PSU "exploding" - it might have fried your notebook. Hopefully data on drive is still good. Even if your notebook is alive, it may still be damaged... and those HPs are not quite good...

Look at ThinkPads (starting at $550 with Core2Duo CPUs) soon...

3. kern417

kern417 Thread Starter

Try what? I'm sorry but I think maybe u didnt't finish your sentencee, or maybe meant to add a link? Because I didnt't follow you all the way. If you could clarify that would help tons, and thanks for the cheap laptop info!

4. Compiler

Compiler

Er... yeah. I was responding, re-read your message... Saw you did the battery thing. But wanted to add... UNPLUG all AC power and the battery and then hold down the power button for 30sec... then press it a few times.

Then put in the battery by itself. NO AC.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/840591

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice