1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer suddenly shuts off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jallda, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jallda

jallda Thread Starter

My computer is having issues and I can't figure out what is wrong with it. Lately it's had this problem with just suddenly shutting off, especially when I'm playing a game. It will do it maybe once every day or every other day.

I turned off the hyper-threading function on the P4 and that stopped it for a couple of weeks but now its started up again.

Once it just suddenly restarted itself, but 99% of the time it will just shut off.

Every time it shuts off, I have to unplug it, wait for a couple of seconds then plug it back in. A couple of seconds after I plug it back in it will power up again on its own.

I'm not sure if it's the ram, power supply, software or what. What could be the most likely culprit?

Thanks and let me know if you need more details.

2. Sponsor

3. BobbyLuke

BobbyLuke

Very random guess: I would say RAM or Processor ... My computer does this all the time,... but maybe just because its a piece of crap...

4. bolia.kukur

bolia.kukur

Look around the capacitors around your processor. Are they off shape or bulging. Overloaded capacitors and PSU(Power supply) are generally the culprits in this kinda prob.

If yes then get them repaired/replaced. Simple repair it is.

5. jadoo_iii

jadoo_iii

Here are some of the reasons why this happens:

*bad hardware
    *virus infection
    *corrupted OS
    *power flactuation

6. BobbyLuke

BobbyLuke

o_O; If you know the reasons you should fix them, no?

7. 07clarkm

07clarkm Banned

Bad hardware could only be something that causes this. The other three have nothing to do with it.

You should know that.

8. frankjohn

frankjohn

If you have more than 1 stick of ram remove and leave 1 only and trouble shoot.If still does shut down my guess would be V card or power supply .Might check your power supply settings.

9. buster70657

buster70657

My computer was doing the exact same thing this past weekend. After trying everything I could possibly think of , I noticed my cooling fan on my video card was extremly dirty causing my video card to run hot . I took it out and cleaned it good. So farmy computer has not shut off on its own.( like I said ......SO FAR !!!!) :eek:

10. digger747

digger747

Had that problem on a computer i built for a friend awhile back.Believe or not,turned out to be the power cord.Seen alot of strange stuff but that was a first.I figured it was the power supply.Nope,darn cord.Sometimes with those issues i change outlets or have voltage checked on outlet in house.Just to make sure.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/621522