1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer suddenly shuts off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by apecher, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apecher

apecher Thread Starter

Hey,

My lenovo T400 has been working well for over 1 year now and since this morning it sometimes suddenly stops working.
    It shuts down like if the batterie would be suddenly empty. This happened while it was on batterie and while working on power supply.

I am running Matlab currently, which is using all the CPU but the temperature seems to stay around 70 degrees celsius. I realy would enjoy some advice as I can't work without having solved this issue....

Thank you in advance,

Arthur

2. Sponsor

3. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hey there,

I think 70c sounds a little too high to be honest. I know a lot of laptops get to that temperature but in my opinion I think it is too high. It may be turning off to stop it self from getting damaged. It may be that the heatsink that cools the CPU has got some dust stuck in it and the airflow has been reduced. If you can find out where the fan is on the laptop and find where the hot air is blowing out of you could turn the laptop off and blow through it to clear the dust. I would recommend that you use a can of compressed air to blow it though though.

Jack-O-Bytes

4. apecher

apecher Thread Starter

Hey man,

thanks for the answer.

I looked a bit more into it and apparently the computer shuts off when it gets at 80 degrees (Celsius) .
    It does this after running twice for more or less 2,5 minutes and almost full CPU.

Do you know if there is any way how I could make the system run a bit slower in order to run at a lower CPU utilisation, limiting it at 80 % or so.....

Thanks in advance,

Arthur

5. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hey there,

That laptop should be able to run at the rated speed that it said it could run at when you bought it. There shouldn't really be a need to Under-clock it to keep it cool. The heatsink that keeps the CPU cool has probably blocked with dust and may need blowing out. This can be done by just blowing the opposite way through the heatsink fins than what the fan does to blow dust out of the intake.

Jack-O-Bytes

6. apecher

apecher Thread Starter

Hey,

I tried to vacuum clean it but without any good results. My laptop is a Lenovo T400.
    In front of the air intake/outlet, there are many small iron "rods" which are part of the computer and are probably what the computer tries to cool down. These might unable dust to come out it they have become "crops".

thanks for the answer.... will see what i can do...

Do you think I should complain to lenovo for this weak performance ?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/953590