1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer super slow after upgrade, HDD at 100%

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chewitt, Oct 24, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. chewitt

chewitt Thread Starter

Just finished upgrading my computer last week, and straight as everything got settled, drivers were installed for the new parts ect, I noticed that my PC was considerably slow, checked task manager and it says that my disk is at 100%, bearing in mind this is my first time putting a lot of new parts into a PC, the PC I got was pre-built and the PC changes goes as follows:

- Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. F2A68HM-HD2 (P0) to ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF B450-PLUS GAMING (AM4)

- AMD A8-7600 to AMD Ryzen 5 2600

- 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (Don't know the name) to Corsair vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz

Also changed my PSU from a Brand called intergraton 500w to a evga 650 gq modular gold rated 80+ power supply.

Today just about a half hour ago I tried to startup the PC and it took me about 4 tries to get here, first couple of tries I got to the desktop, shortcuts loaded and everything and then just it just blackscreened, I could Ctrl + Alt + Delete and do everything I wanted from there but there remained the blackscreen. I've tried a few "solutions" so far to no avail, including updating drivers, disabled that superfetch thing (can't remember new name) and a few other things. My uneducated guess would be the SATA cable going into the HDD, the previous MOBO I had already had a SATA cable going into the HDD obviously, I used the same cable that was used on the previous one on the new one, within the new MOBO case there was a SATA cable, the one I originally had fit in the new MOBO so I just let it be, or maybe the cable doesn't matter at all, or maybe the hard drive is busted, I don't know and that's why I'm here.

Any advice is appriciated!

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Once you swap out mobo and/or CPU or both....it's imperative to do a clean install. What OS are you running?

3. chewitt

chewitt Thread Starter

Windows 10 (64bit)

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

This is what I would do: Use MS MCT tool and get windows 10 ISO on a thumb drive (very simple to do). Then do a clean install with newly created install media.

5. chewitt

chewitt Thread Starter

I'm guessing I'd have to reinstall everything that way right?
    Could I back up important files like pictures etc?

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    After Ctrl-Alt-Del start Task Manager then click on File > New task (Run...) and type Explorer then press Enter. Now if File Explorer opens you can try to backup files onto a Usb stick.

7. chewitt

chewitt Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You could also connect the primary drive to another computer and pull the data off that way.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice