1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer, switch, switch, router, modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ardyw, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ardyw

ardyw Thread Starter

I thought that I had this all figured out, but my dad just asked me a question about my setup, and I can't answer it.

The setup is like this:
    [ip-phones + computers]-->[small switch]-->[managed L2 switch]-->[router]-->[modem]

I have several ip-phones and computers grouped into blocks of 8. Each set of 8 is a medley of phones/computers connected to a small switch http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=3681322279B34

Each of these switches, in turn, will be connected to a managed L2 switch http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pwcnt_3448p?c=ca&cs=calca1&l=en&s=biz that will create 2 VLANS: One VLAN will contain all of the phones, and the other will contain all of the computers. In turn, each VLAN will have its own router and DSL modem, thereby separating the network traffic.

I know that I can use this L2 switch to make the VLANS based on the MAC addresses of the devices. However, the smaller switches do not support 802.1q [VLANs]. Will it be a problem that the smaller switches do not support VLANs? Essentially, will this setup work to split up network traffic?

Thanks once again,
    -Roger

2. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

I have the same DELL switch for my phones. You PoE will not carry across the linksys switches, so that is the first problem.
    Next are the computers attached to the phones? Or does each device get its own drop?

And whats this about 2 routers and modems? Thats a bit over kill!! QoS would do the trick.

I would run all the devices off the Dell and attach the computers to the Phones (most IP Phones have a passthrough port) Configure the Dell with trunk ports with the Computer VLAN passing untagged traffic making it the native VLAN. While having the phones on a Tagged VLAN(If you phones conig allows you to set the VLAN in its config great! If not you can bind the MAC to the VLAN). The you create a QoS policy giving the VoIP traffic priority!

3. ardyw

ardyw Thread Starter

Hi again Memnoch,

Most of the computers are attached to the phones, but there are some lone phones and other lone computers.

The setup you described looks good to me, but will it work with the small linksys switches sitting inbetween the devices and the larger switch?

Thanks,
    -Roger

Ps: We are so far away from a phone centre that the internet service available here is quite slow. Having 2 modems gives us the ability to expand easily in the future :)

4. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Okay, here is the thing. You kind of want a bit of a complex configuration. The Linksys is not an enterprise device, and it wont support Power over Ethernet or VLANing. So basicly if you were to connect the linksys to a trunk port on the Dell the linksys would be on the native VLAN( I will have to do a little research to see if the tagged traffic will passthrough the a non layer2/3 and still maintain the proper tagging).

Can you hang the phones off the 3448p and then any machines off of the Linksys?

As for the second public gateway. You will need to configure some routing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice