1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer switches off

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by holy-toot, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. holy-toot

holy-toot Thread Starter

My computer uses Windows 98SE. Recently it developed a problem where after about 5 minutes a green line approximately 1 centimeter wide appears across the upper half of the screen. The screen then goes blank with the computer still running. When switched off and on the fans can be heard to run but the screen remains blank. It does not restart until it has been left off for several hours. I reloaded Windows but that does not help. Last night I took the computer apart and after that it worked fine. Tonight when I used the computer it was back to the same old problem. Can anyone help?

Thank you.

2. p8jx6

p8jx6

That sounds like a hardware problem, but i might be wrong. i say this because i think you said that it will reboot only after several hours, does it give you any beep codes, or do you know if your computer (any internal part) runs hot.

3. holy-toot

holy-toot Thread Starter

Someone else suggested that to me but I don't know how to check.

I was a bit surprised that it worked fine last night after re-building it.

4. p8jx6

p8jx6

you can use Mother Board monitor download Here
    it is free, and very small, but not all mother boards are supported they need to have a WinBond chip on them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice