1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Switching Off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dan2603, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dan2603

dan2603 Thread Starter

Hi,

I am using a Dell 15R Inspiron laptop, which gets switched off sometimes. Please note it is not shutting down but the power suddenly goes off. When I reboot, it starts Ok again.

I have faced this at least thrice in last one month.

Please help me get over this or else I am afraid I may face HDD failure later on.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

2. iKarnt

iKarnt

Does the battery charge at all? (pull out plug, how long will it last) if this is "instant" or close to it. then a new battery is in order.

its been several years - Im guessing the battery hold bout 5 mins now, maybe more, but I dont think thats it.

Firstly - and most strongly recommended. BACKUP.
    its a great idea to use the many free storage spaces out there (skydrive, dropbox etc) each providing 2-7gb with any new signup.
    so I would be using those a backup for anything worth while, those bigger things (Movies, music, bulk dump) should be happy on the many USB sticks at your local <insert massive store full of all sorts of stuff> store. my post office sells 8gb for $8 for example. Hard as nail too. can go thru the washing and its still reads n writes.

I guess what Im saying here is I dont have any hope for this one. Laptops die like this. Any major brand would just replace the MB on if it was under warrenty, if you have any left - use it now. faulty Part is likley to be the cause, either a major or minor intergrated componant.

3. dan2603

dan2603 Thread Starter

Hi iKarnt,

I don't think my laptop is going to die any soon as it's just about a year old now. And my battery holds to about 3 hours.

Thanks for your help anyways.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Check Windows Event Viewer to see if Windows is logging any errors.

Shutdowns like you describe are typically the result of a hardware fault. Most often the motherboard or power supply.

5. dan2603

dan2603 Thread Starter

Yes, I see many errors and warnings under Event Viewer -> Custom Views -> Administrative Events and elsewhere.

If you want I can post them over here, but I am not sure as to how to save the Event Logs. So, please advice what needs to be done next.

By the way, the computer never again shut down since I last reported.

I would also like to mention here that last month a friend scanned some pendrives in this laptop, found a lot of viruses, which he deleted from the Quarantine section of the antivirus software "Avira". Afterwards, I scanned the system on my own and found a few too, which I Quarantined and deleted. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the switching-off, but thought I should report it here for the best chances of finding out the reason. I think my system is clean now, but you never know and I am no expert on this.

Anyways, thanks for your help and waiting to know the future course of action that needs to be taken.

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If the problem hasn't occurred again, I wouldn't worry about it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1057797

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice