Computer taken over

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hodi

My sister's laptop, (Windows XP) is freezing up and having a lot of trouble accessing the internet. She thinks it's from an e-mail that she downloaded a screen saver from. It has to do with a web page called freeze.com, 3D Dolphins screen saver, desktop weather and a couple of other things that all downloaded at the same time.
She has to go to Control, Alt, Delete to try to get the laptop to shut down and then has to click on "End Now" several times. I will attach a picture of the list.
Also, when she goes to "Add & Remove", it won't let her uninstall the desktop weather and another one called When U Save.

Thanks, Hodi

Attachments

Hodi

She has Ad Aware. When she ran it, it came up with 11 items that all said "Data Miner".

Thanks, Hodi

Hodi

I'm not sure. If it is Spyware, is there anything else she can do? Why won't it let her Remove the Weather, etc.?

Hodi

A lot of spyware can't be removed by going to add-remove programs. It may say it can, but it leaves crap behind. That being said, Ad-Aware will at least tell you that spyware is on the system. Make sure its an updated version, you can also try SpyBot Search and Destroy.

What are the errors when she tries to uninstall them? What is the actual program(s) name?

Hodi

When she tries to remove "When U Save", there are no errors, it just doesn't do anything. When she goes to C/A/D, it tells her the Uninstall is running, so she left it for fifteen minutes, but nothing happened. When she tries to remove "Desktop Weather 4", it tells her it can't remove it because the program is running.

Hodi

Here's a crude way to get rid of pesky applications. Using Windows Explorer find the folder(s) where the pesky programs are stored -- probably somewhere under c:\Program Files. Check the attributes of each file in each folder to be sure it is not read only. If it is go to properties for that file and change it. Then just delete the files one by one and the folders after all files are gone. As I said, this is crude and will probably leave a lot of garbage behind in the registry but this can be cleaned up using appropriate applications such as Advanced System Optimizer by Systweak. After you have completed the deletions empty the Recycle Bin.

Hodi

Thanks, Golfer
I'll have her give it a go--------------:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts