Computer takes a long time to shut down.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dijunky

I did some time on google looking for an answer to this problem, with no definite luck my figure it that some piece of software is pausing the shutdown.

I start my computer all is fine and good. I then try to shut my computer down.
Vista shuts down in about 20 seconds. This is how my computer normally works.

But if i get on the internet and am on for more than 15 minutes or so, the pages take a long time to load. When i try to restart Firefox, an error box comes up telling me that Firefox is already running.

I check task manager and it is, when i try to end the process nothing happens. In order to fix this problem i have to restart my computer. When i attempt to shutdown the computer the desktop just sits there for almost 5 minutes before windows decides to log off and shut down.

I have run avg 8, Norton, and Spybot S&D. In hopes of finding a bug somewhere but nothing has set off the security flags.

This has been happening for almost a month, two weeks ago i did a format and reinstalled all of the programs i had, thinking that it might be a virus of some kind. This still did not help.

I have also reinstalled Firefox multiple times and it has not helped.

Attached is a screen capture of my desktop. I have put icons of all the programs i use on there.

I run visa home premium, core 2 duo 2.0 ghz, 3 gigs ram, geforce 7600.

Attachments

dijunky

The Problem turned out to be caused by Norton's Firefox toolbar, Maybe a memory leak or something. Norton told me they are aware of the problem and are trying very hard to find and implement a solution.

Until that time, I have uninstalled Norton 360 2.0 and am now using Zone Alarm Security Suite. Haven't decided whether I will go back to Norton; lately it has been nothing but disappointments from them.

I use free antivirus = antivir
it's probably the best free one out there, you could try it when your subscription runs out

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online