1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer takes FOREVER to boot up and then hangs after logging in

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by crocks, Jan 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crocks

crocks Thread Starter

Hello All-

My Laptop (running XP) will boot up to the login screen (which now takes about 5 minutes when it used to be less than 1 minute). Once I enter my login information and hit enter -- it stalls for about 5 minutes and then returns to the "ctrl-alt-del login screen".

I have 2 "profiles" and can successfully log in to one under the administrator login -- but I don't get a start button and the windows look "different". For example, the expand/minimize/close buttons when I run the task manager look more like how I remember windows screens looking years ago -- if that makes any sense.

Any ideas?

2. bobol

bobol

Bump;

For openers, let's run spybot and adaware [gotten from links below-and perhaps cw shredder too]. After that see whats happening... then maybe run Hijack This[link below] then follow the below instructions fully, and post the log in this thread, whereupon it'll be analysed by those-in-the-know here and then appropriate fixes will be suggested..

follow the next instructions on posting the Hijack This log here;

It’s very important that you save the log to its own permanent folder on your hard drive, such as Program Files/Hijack This, or My Documents/Hijack This, (NOT a temporary files folder) or you may loose the ability to undo any changes you make, so that it can create proper back-ups and be able to restore them if necessary.

Close all open windows/and any open web browers and open Hijack This. Click “Scan”. When the scan is finished (it only takes a second), the scan button will change to “Save Log”. Click on “Save Log” and then save it to NotePad. Click on “Edit” – “Select all” – “copy” and then “paste” into the thread.

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET;- Await further analysis here.

3. Roshith

Roshith

have u run an antivirus scan with all ur definitions updated???

4. Roshith

Roshith

5. crocks

crocks Thread Starter

I'd be happy to follow the steps suggested, however, I cannot login to my main profile-- the one account I can login to as an administrator doesn't seem to have internet access setup properly (wireless card).....

Yes, I have run Antivirus (with updated definitions) recently.

The last change I can think of making before shutting down the last time the computer worked properly was removing Google's Desktop Search tool. I can't imagine that caused the problem but thought I would mention it.

I run adware/spybot on a regular basis and haven't recently downloaded/executed anything out of the ordinary.

Suggestions on how I can boot up to the point where I can run hijackthis? I don't currently have it on my system so I need a way to connect to the internet and download it.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

6. Roshith

Roshith

have u tried to use system restore??

7. crocks

crocks Thread Starter

No, I have not tried the system restore -- to be honest -- I have no clue as to how to!

Your help is appreciated!

8. Roshith

Roshith

go to start>all programs>accesories>system tools>system restore...

a calendar comes up with many restore points...choose a date when u r sure ur computer worked fine n then restore to that date...

try that n then post here....

:)

9. Roshith

Roshith

have u tried it??did it work?

10. crocks

crocks Thread Starter

tried that -- no matter what I try to select (system restore, IE, Outlook, etc), the hourglass runs for a couple of seconds then nothing. I can't seem to start ANY program. This is when I'm logged in as administrator.

??

11. Roshith

Roshith

did u try system restore in safe mode???

12. Roshith

Roshith

do the other things work in safe mode??

13. crocks

crocks Thread Starter

It worked. I let the computer sit -- and the system restore finally loaded after about 20 minutes -- I set it back a couple of days -- rebooted -- and now everything is working fine!

Thank you so much for your help!

14. Roshith

Roshith

ur welcome crocks..........glad to have helped u solve ur problem....lol...first problem i have solved on this site...
    btw...now why dont u download hijackthis n post the log in the sercurity forums.....

u mite get some help wid that to help clean up ur system...

15. Roshith

Roshith

one more thing........click on thread tools at the top of this page n mark this thread as "solved"

:)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!