1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer takes forever to start up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sparkle69, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sparkle69

Sparkle69 Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I own a 2005 Sony Vaio laptop, w/Windows XP. For the longest time, my computer has taken forever to start up. I figured this might be because there are too many programs loading when it starts up. I went to this website http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php to see which applications I could remove. I tried to remove Norton's Anti-Virus, QuickTime, and a few others. I was told to re-start the computer so the changes would take effect. However, that didn't work. When the computer re-booted, I saw a screen that said I could either use the Normal Startup, the Diagnostic Startup, or the Selective Startup. I've chosen the Selective & the Normal Startups on different occasions and nothing happened. I know a few of these programs are Trojans. Are they stuck of my computer forever?

I've also tried a System Restore. Didn't work.

Thank you in advance.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tried safe mode?

When you see windows begin to load, hit the F8 key. This should bring up a menu; one of the choices is safe mode command prompt. Choose that one. Once in the command prompt, type this in "sfc /scannow" without quotes. Have your xp CD in the drive. Note this must be a MS CD and NOT a recovery type CD.

This will replace/overwrite any system files that have been altered.

3. Sparkle69

Sparkle69 Thread Starter

I don't think I have the XP Cd anymore. :(

Would putting the computer in Safe Mode make sure the changes I made would go into effect?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Whatever changes you made are probably not very beneficial.

Can you boot into safe mode or not?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Before doing anything, I would make sure you have a backup of anything important that is on that drive. This would be things like data/work files, financial records, etc.

6. panicrooster

panicrooster Banned

You need to be careful when you start turning off services like that with Windows, you can really screw it up. Also it definitely sounds like you have been using the MSCONFIG and screwing with the services there and at least the startup items there. THat's why that window keeps popping up. You have the right idea to help speed up the pc and your boot time but kind of dangerous to do and especially if you're turning off your antivirus protection to do so. As far as viruses, God only knows what lives in your pc at this moment and time, especially if you're cutting Norton off, but usually is repairable. You might be better off getting your hands on Ashampoo Winoptimizer and it advises on services you can cut off and cleans your system also. Do what you are doing at your own risk but do your research on each thing you believe is safe to stop. You could end up freezing that thing to the point of useless.

Edit: Also, don't go online letting your pc be scanned by unknown sources. Although that might be a legit software and list, who really knows. You should only trust the security software you have installed on your pc, never online bs. If anything, turn Norton back on!!!!

7. GripS

GripS

MSCONFIG is relatively safe to mess with. You can always re-enable what you uncheck.

Anyway. You might stroll on over to this page:http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Start off by using the 'Safe' configuration.

I would also recommend using an anti-virus such as AVG which is far less a resource hog (and far less a pain in the arse) then Norton. It also helps that it is completely free.

8. MaD_KiLLeR

MaD_KiLLeR

I would not recommenced AVG 8, if you have an old computer, As its a ram hog.

9. panicrooster

panicrooster Banned

I'll an avid opponent of people installing AVG into their system and I believe the AVG8 is the worst one made so far. The only reason it has a higher user rating is because the amount of people who are using it for free. With that said, AVG will stop .dll files in your Windows from working, trigger happy on warnings and mostly false warnings and stops other safe programs you have installed from working properly when it seems fit to stop part of it process.. and all of this without even notifying the user. Really sweet huh? You are much better off using Zone Alarm Security Suite than AVG or Norton, although Norton/Symantec actually makes a lot of quality software from antivirus to backup and recovery as well. MSCONFIG is overall safer than say, going directly into your services under admin op's and stopping or changing from auto to manual but you can still screw up the pc from running properly and if the user does not know what they are doing, might be the case here, then they shouldn't, or be advised it's ok to do so which will lead to more problems. People need to leave their Windows alone if they are not experienced. Many people love to go into the Device Manager and start playing the guessing game there as well, which is even worse BUT more common for inexperienced users to try because of incorrect drivers or setup. Funny is.. the answer to a pc problem will rarely ever lie in either place.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/746018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice