1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer taking a long time to boot

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by oilbath, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oilbath

oilbath Thread Starter

My computer is taking longer and longer to boot. I have Ad aware,Spy bot,and spyblaster installed, maybe there is something else I should be doing.

Thank you

oilbath

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't mention which operating system you're using(i.e. 95, 98, ME).

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG, then click OK - Startup(tab). Everything there with a checkmark next to it is loading during startup and running in the background. As you install more programs and update older programs, many of them set themselves up to load during startup and run in the background. As this startup load gets larger, it takes longer for your computer to startup, it drags down performance, it consumes system resources, and it causes error messages and freezes. Other than

ScanRegistry

SystemTray

StateMgr
    (Windows ME only)

Antivirus program entries

Firewall program entries

very few other programs, if any, need to load during startup and run in the background. You can research your startup list by making use of the "Search" option at this site.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure to keep Ad-Aware and Spybot up-to-date by running their update function about once a week and installing the latest files.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure to keep the buildup of temp files and other junk files deleted on a regular basis. Click Start - Find - Files And Folders, select the hard drive to look in, then delete everything that appears under

*.TMP

C:\TEMP\*.*

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

Ignore any warnings that you get about a program not running if you delete a certain file. All of this is junk, so get rid of it.

Empty the Recycle Bin and run Disk Defragmenter about once a month.

3. 911

I suggest that you run Scandisk (Check THOROUGH) And follow it with Disk Defragmenter. Scandisk and Defragmenter require that nothing else be running while they are doing their thing. Some programs may not look like they are running, but they keep trying to start up, or update files (changing your hard drive) while Scandisk is trying to check it. You can shut down every program running manually, but it is much easier to use Safe Mode, which prevents them from starting up.

Using Safe Mode:

Reboot your computer and tap your F8 key repeatedly until a black screen with the Windows Startup Menu appears.

Choose option # 3 (Safe Mode) by pressing the 3 on your keyboard or selecting it with your arrow keys.

Press the Enter key to begin booting into Safe Mode. Note, it will take a few moments longer than a regular boot. You are in Safe Mode when Windows displays Safe Mode in all four corners of the desktop and a Safe Mode message appears. (The desktop may be smaller and the mouse will be slow and sluggish.)

Now you can start Scandisk or (Disk Defragmenter). Do not touch your mouse or keyboard while it is running.

You also do not mention that have anti-virus software. If you don't, I suggest that you get the free program AVG-7 from http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1/lng/us/tpl/v5.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!