1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer thinks unsecure network is secure network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dbock, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dbock

dbock Thread Starter

I have an older Dell desktop computer that I have had connected to my network using a D-link wireless router and a D-link USB wireless adapter. This may be extra information, but I am including it in case it is relevant. The USB adapter failed about 3 months ago. I replaced it with another D-link USB adapter. That adapter failed last week. After hours on the phone with D-link, they the device wasn't working properly and sent me a return material authorization. I couldn't find my receipt so the RMA was no good. I a TP-Link USB wireless adapter this time (WN-821N). After I installed the software for the new adapter, tried to connect to my home network and it asks me for a network key. My home network is not secured. I have 3 other laptops at home that all can connect to the network without a password. In the network lists on the laptops, my home network shows up as unsecture. On the desktop, the home network shows up as secured.

The TP-Link help desk had never heard of this problem and couldn't help me?

2. dbock

dbock Thread Starter

Sorry, I have Windows XP operating system.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Me too.

Do you have service pack 3 on the XP? The latest wireless driver from TP-Link's web site?

For the problem adapter and for another Windows PC please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Identify which screen shot is which, and identify your network if it is not obvious.

4. dbock

dbock Thread Starter

When I went get the screen shots for my reply, the network list showed my Home network as "unsecure" and I was able to connect. I have no idea why this happened as I had shut down several times in previous attempts to solve the problem. Thanks for your quick reply. I will come back in the future if I need assistance.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice