1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Ticks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by biledrinker, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. biledrinker

biledrinker Thread Starter

Hey.. Recently built a custom pc with the following:-

Intel Pentium D 3.40 ghz
    Maxtor 200gb hdd
    Advance slim case
    logitech 5.1 surround
    512 mb 4300 ddr ram
    nvidia pny 6600 gt 128 mb ram
    asus p5pvm-800 mobo

and with others, such as wireless mouse , wired keyboard, wifi pci card, etc. The Problem that i get is that my computer seems to be making a ticking sound, not often, but more often in games. And when this happens, my computer freezes shortly after. I'm not sure whether or not it would be to do with the overclocking of my gpu, but if so, how?
    There was also the threat of my hdd dying.. but it has been doing it for at least a month now, I've had a look around and everywhere ive looked states that it would have died a long time ago. Anyone?

2. bigbear

bigbear

Yep clicking, classic signs of a dying hard drive
    Make sure you have everthing backed up, it can cost a fortune to recover data from a dead drive

3. biledrinker

Hmm . . .
    I thought it would be that, but it hasn't died at all. it's been doing it for a long time, and its very infrequent.. only in games actually. Would it be the gpu at all? or just mere overheating?

4. bigbear

bigbear

This is the problem, there is no timetable one minute its ok the next its dead.
    The clicking and freezing are good warning signs and also its a Maxtor, they are failing more than most at the moment.
    Change it before it is too late

5. biledrinker

Hmm.. okay then, I'll replace the Hard Drive,

6. brite750

brite750

well it would have been nice to know where the sound was coming from, it might not have been hdd but thats one of the prime suspects I guess, fan could have been failing on gpu causing it to overheat during gaming as well or some other heat problem, i guess we'll see if hdd replacement does the trick

7. bigbear

bigbear

It was the freezing as well that convinced me it was the hard drive:eek:

8. brite750

brite750

I know youre right prime suspect, but Ive had a gfx card, a sound card and for that matter a network card that would make pc freeze up, but the only one that could make a noise would be the gpu.

9. biledrinker

Turns out it was actually a temperature issue, and a faulty connection inside between the SATA ports. :)
    Thanks for the help guys.

10. brite750

brite750

temp issue??? what temp issue bad fan? i mean what was making the noise?

11. jmtechserv

jmtechserv

I agree with brite750, Bad connections could/would cause "freezes", but not the "ticking".
    I would not treat this issue as fixed.

12. biledrinker

Im not sure at all ! but its just stopped completely.. connections inside between the sata ports was my guess, they weren't put in properly.. I'll watch it for a while and keep you updated.. Thanks for the help guys

13. biledrinker

Looking at the timestamp on my name and still no problem when it concerns itself with this, i have realised that the main issue between the hardware was heat, and have since bought a new larger case to allow air flow, and the problem has dissapeared, thanks anyway guys :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice