1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer to HDTV connections

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Craftydeb, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Craftydeb

Craftydeb Thread Starter

I was directed to you from a friend who usually helps me but is really swamped right now, so...I know this seems like it would a simple issue to solve, but I'm having one hell of a time solving it myself. I have an Acer Aspire laptop that I'm able to connect to my big tv through the HDMI cables, BUT when it comes to hooking it up to a smaller tv I'm totally stumped. The tv, first of all, is an '07 Sanyo model and even though it is HD, it has no HDMI port. There are three sets RCA ports, for three components, and an S-video port, plus a digital audio output port, for multi-channel receiver. Ok...the computer doesn't have S-video, but it does have a VGA serial port. Here's what I did: I bought a connector which has VGA male side to hook to the computer and female both RCA (R,Y,W only) and S-video. I got a male-male S-video cable to hook to the tv. Now that takes care of the video side. I also bought a cable that has the headphone jack on one end and R,W audio jacks on the other end. Sounds like it's all hooked up? I thought so, but for some reason, first the computer isn't recognizing that I have a VGA connector or headphone jack connector plugged in, then, when I turn the tv on, selecting the correct video setting, I get "no signal" on the screen. I have a satellite box hooked to one set and a vcr to the second set. So, what did I not do, and what should I do in order to make them talk to each other? I hope someone can help me ASAP...
    Thank you so much!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    that will not work - unless the laptop has a setting to use s-video via VGA , most pcs do not have that facility

3. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Hello and welcome to TSG!!

I don't understand why you'd have a male VGA (15-pin hi density D) connector on one end and R-Y-W on the other. Typically, the yellow connector would be for composite video and the red and white would be for audio. The VGA standard does not have anything to do with audio. I found this on a site that has a cable that sounds like the one you have: "Note:Before place the bid, please be sure to check the manual of your system to make sure the Video Card of your system supports TV (RCA/S-Video) output through VGA port. Not every Video card will work with this adaptor. Only certain Video cards which have TV Output function built into VGA port will work through this adapter."

The "three sets RCA ports, for three components", what color are they? Component video inputs would be red, green and blue. is that what you've got on the TV? Or, are they red, white (or black) and yellow? That would be for right/left audio and composite video. If component (RGB), you can try a cable like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0PG08P9437, but note that this, too, has a caveat: "NOTE: Specific TV-out feature on video card is required, please check with your video card output specification for compatibility".

4. Craftydeb

Craftydeb Thread Starter

I got the vga/ryw cable through best buy. I'm able to work through hdmi-hdmi with my other tv. Should I be using vga to the ryw
    instead of the vga to s-video? The instructions on my tv state using the s-video overrides the rca ports. My Aspire is model 7741z-5731, if that helps any. The three sets of rca ports are, from top to bottom: g-b-r-y, then r-w below them for the audio. I'm not sure how to check for the compatibility of my video card output, could you help me with that? I'm just so confused...plus the fact that even though I have it all connected, the tv doesn't even recognize anything is plugged into it other than the other two components!
    When I was thinking of using the vga-rca rather than s-video, I thought "vga comes out as video and yellow is video in, then I could plug the red and white into the audio in." Were my thought processes going in the wrong direction? :eek: :confused:
    By the way, thanks for replying!

5. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Your TV supports component video, those are the r-g-b jacks. The Newegg link I provided above will do that. You might want to shoot Acer an email asking if that cable will work with that model. They should be able to answer that. You'd probably need to use an 1/8" male stereo plug in the headphone jack that breaks out to left and right (white and red) RCA connectors for the audio.

The VGA connector on your PC will only provide video, not audio.

6. Craftydeb

Craftydeb Thread Starter

Ok, I will contact acer on that...yes, I know that about the vga not giving audio...which is why I do have a cable that goes from the headphone jack to the red and white plugs, and I had it plugged in. It was as though I had headphones on, because there was no sound coming out of the computer, but also no sound coming out of the tv...hmm would that be because of the video part not working correctly too? I don't know...

7. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Did you have the TV set to the proper input? You may need to set it to Component (on my grandson's TV [that I just connected a DVD player to], it was listed as CV1, I assume for component video 1, as apposed to AV1 and AV2 which would have been the composite video, the yellow RCA connections), or some other designation, before the external audio signal is accepted on those inputs.

8. Craftydeb

Craftydeb Thread Starter

Yes I did...I have the satellite box hooked to video 3 and the vcr to video 2, therefore, the only one left is video 1. But, there was one other setting called D03-1, which I have no clue about, even though I thought it had to do with the s-video, but apparently not. Other than those, there is just the regular channel setting which is C03, per usual...so I'm not sure what to think about it. I even called Sanyo to find out about it and the tech there basically said he couldn't do anything for me because he didn't have the schematics for a tv that is an '07 model...what a crock! I read off the paperwork I had on it, basically the schematic, but for some reason, he couldn't understand what I was telling him. I just don't know what to think!

9. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Are the inputs labeled on the rear?

10. buffoon

buffoon

I think we need to get back to basics to avoid further confusion.

First of all it's necessary to realize that there is only a very small number of video cards that support component (YPbPr aka RGB=red, green, blue) via the PC's vga output. The likelihood that your particular PC does it is thus remote. So just using a cable with different plugs at each end is simply the industry's way of selling you something completely useless.

Then you're left with your possibility of composite video (yellow RCA) and the likelihood of that working is zilch. Same thing wrt the industry as above applies.

In either case you're not going to get anywhere without active conversion

so, for g-b-r on your Sanyo (component) you'll need something like this

[​IMG]
    for -y (yellow) on your Sanyo (composite) you'll need something like this

[​IMG]

r-w on your Sanyo being the audio inputs which in newer TVs come as one set each, dedicated to either video input (component or composite) but may (and I say "may") in your case loop to whichever video source (input) is connected.

The problem of VGA not supplying audio output has been addressed and providing your TVs audio input does what we all hope, will be solved by PC headphone output to TV audio input.

11. Craftydeb

Craftydeb Thread Starter

Gr3iz Mark:

The inputs are on one side of the back of the tv with the labels beside them.

Buffoon:

It looks like I'll have another issue with those pieces you show...I would have to have a male to male vga cable to go from computer to the converters but I only have one vga output on the laptop. I still haven't received word back from Acer to find out the best way to make the connection.

12. buffoon

buffoon

Don't quite understand the problem with that. VGA male/male is standard to connect monitors to PCs so what has having only one output on the laptop to do with that?:confused: Are you not simply using the laptop so far via its inbuilt screen and just requiring a 2nd monitor (your TV in this case) via its VGA output?

Which would go with its other male end into the conversion box from where onwards you'd work with RCAs.

13. Craftydeb

Craftydeb Thread Starter

If I use the output on the laptop...go to one of the devices, what will I use for the other device? That's the issue I was seeing...

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice