1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer to TV

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by craigwp, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. craigwp

craigwp Thread Starter

I've had fun learning how to download and burn movies and play them on my computer so now something new to learn would be nice. :) :) (y)
    I have s-video jacks on both my computer and my TV and I would like to know what else I need (besides a cable) to watch my movies on my TV. Is there special software needed?

Any help will be appreciated.

2. thecoalman

thecoalman

If you hook it up to the TV it should play whatever is on the monitor. S-Video is video only though, you'll have to either listen to the audio through your computer speakers or send it to an external receiver.

3. craigwp

craigwp Thread Starter

Send it to an external speaker? Please explain.

4. thecoalman

thecoalman

For example if you wanted to send the audio to your TV speakers you would need to unplug your computer speakers. Plug in a mini-stereo plug to RCA adpter and run the RCA cable to the TV, or vice versa have a RCA to mini plug adapter on the TV and use a mini plug cable.

You need to send the audio from your soundcard output in some fashion and the choices you have depends on the what type of connections the soundcard has. You may even be able to send the signal from the speakers if they have some kind of output like a headphone jack.

5. stantley

stantley

This was the cable that I got to hook mine up http://www.svideo.com/7pin4pin.html. Be aware that there are 2 kinds of S-video plugs, 7 pin and 4 pin. Most video cards have 7 pin and most TV's have 4 pin. So either get one similar to the one I got or one that is 4 pin on both ends.

6. craigwp

craigwp Thread Starter

I have the pc to computer hooked up and I can see the pc desktop and even folders etc but when I click to play the movie the player shows on the tv but the video is to dark to see.

Anyone, help on this please?

7. craigwp

craigwp Thread Starter

I messed around with different media players and old faithful came through for me. I opened the AVI with Alshow the free media player from
    http://www.altools.net/

and it was bee-u-tee-ful.

Thanks for the help.:) (y)

8. ashmo_uk

ashmo_uk

If I was you, I would convert the video files on your computer to DVD formate, then burn them onto a DVD to play in your DVD player.

9. craigwp

craigwp Thread Starter

I've tried that and the dvd's will play but I have no control over things like pause, stop, rewind etc.
    Perhaps I'm doing something wrong . Any clues ?

Thanks, Craig

10. thecoalman

thecoalman

Did you just burn them as data DVD's? I'd imagine bunred as data stop and pause functionality would be dependant on the player, many players won't even play them just burned as data.

For full funtionality use a authoring software. You're DVD burning package probably has something that will author them. If you can add chapters and menus it's authoring software. If not try Ulead Movie Factory... www.ulead.com

11. craigwp

craigwp Thread Starter

I have tried every program I could think of the convert AVI to DVD and I have no problems watching either AVI's or DVD's on my computer. but put a DVD in my player as I just did after converting an avi to dvd using uleads program I have the same problem.

I may just use the cable and be done with it :)

12. ashmo_uk

ashmo_uk

The best one is ConvertXtoDVD.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice