1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Total Freeze up, Need help

Discussion in 'Games' started by Joe020681, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Joe020681

Joe020681 Thread Starter

I was playing diablo 2 yesterday and all of a sudden my computer kept freezing up(Cant move mouse, Cant Do anything but manually shut it off) during play. Everything ran fine before with no problems until yesterday. It keeps freezing during the game and now even during other programs every so often and im not sure how to fix it. I ran scandisk, anti-virus, I even opened up my computer and cleaned out dust and checked fans. I tried other games and it seems to freeze up on them( Unreal Tourny 2k3, Warcraft 3) I have Windows XP Home Edition, a Celeron 1.3 GhZ, Geforce4mx 64 MB Vid card, DSL Internet, 256 MB Ram, and I have 51% of my 40 Gig Harddrive free. I even uninstalled Diablo 2 and Lord of Destruction. I tried reinstall them but it seems to freeze up about halfway throught the installtion. Can anyone help??:confused:

2. buckaroo

buckaroo

Hi Joe, welcome to TSG.

Well, you certainly done did some good things already.

Try shutting down other applications running in the background via Task Manager and see if that helps any. If it does, you can check this site for a listing of things you can safely keep out of your start up folder:

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

Also, always good idea to clean out Windows temp folders.

And, if you don't, download and run either Spybot or Ad-Aware to check for spy/mal ware.

http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

:cool:

3. X Zero

X Zero

I had a problem like that not too long ago with Age of Empires it was fine for a while but then it just froze and wouldnt start up again...Try uninstalling and make sure everything game file or title is gone from registry "Control Panel>Run>regedit"...then reinstall ..One of the shortcuts mind of gotten corrupted,thats why the WinXp is acting up ..It might not be just the game ,could be anything actually,,sound,graphics,If you have winamp try uninstalling that, then try the game.

4. Joe020681

Joe020681 Thread Starter

Hey, Thank you for helping me. I tried them all but it seemed to only help a little bit. I decided just to reinstall windows xp. After reinstalling it stopped freezing all the time. I have noticed only 3 times since around 3 PM it has all together stopped(Its 9:47 now). Hopefully i can figure out whats going on to put an end to all this annoying freezing. Thanks again guys, your idea's will help me if something like this happens again. :D

5. vesselle

vesselle

i'm experiencing the exact same thing.

XP Pro
    (all updates, except DX 9)
    p3 800E pentium chip
    384 mb RAM
    2 WD HD (20gb & 40 gb)
    GeF4 ti 4200 64 mb
    CDRW plextor

until a week ago, everything ran fine. then, one afternoon, like usual, i opened Morrowind to continue playing, and FREEZE.

it freezes for up to 2 or 3 minutes, then i get a second of gameplay. then freeze up for 2 or 3 minutes and another second of gameplay. and it keeps doing this.

ran NeverWinter Nights, same thing.
    ran Diablo 2, same thing.
    ran Thief 2, same thing.
    ran Dungeon Siege, same thing.

ACK!

i have reformatted BOTH drives TWICE, and even swapped places with them and reformatted a THIRD time.

i have NOTHING running in the background. all i have installed are my Trillian, McAfee online virus scanner (which i disable to play games) and 2 test games (Morrowind and Thief2)

i have MoBo Monitor 5 running. my chip is running at 86'F and spikes up to 122'F or so during games. my chip fan is running at 4500 RPM.

my bf, the geek king, <3, can't find anything wrong. :( but he's not actually HERE right now, so his advice is without seeing it. :( :(

i'm going nuts. if i can't play games, then i'm lost.

any ideas?

V***V

6. buckaroo

buckaroo

Joe & vesselle

Well, re-installing the OS and even re-formatting usually clears up lots of issues....ummmmmm.....CPU overheating issues come to mind, but vesselle, it sounds like you have that covered. How about your power supplies? Freezes are sometime linked to inadequate power supply.

Have you checked the games manufacturer's web site for any patches and/or upgrades for XP?

:)

7. Majorskypilo

Majorskypilo

I've had some experience with this problem. On at least 4 occasions it turned out to be weak or dead ram chips.
    Occured twice with oem RAM (cheap ones from computer show's).
    As well as twice(as of yesterday) with new Crucial 512MB chips.

Problems usually starts with RAM intense programs/games or major installs like windows. Utility programs will report "all's well" with chips but overall transfer speeds will be low.
    The only sure fire way to test them that I found was to try each chip -1 AT A TIME- in "slot 1". Either the system won't start at all or all type's of strange errors will occur when you find the "weak chip".

In fact I will be calling crucial for ANOTHER replacement 512MB chip as soon as I can. (got 3 month's out of this one!!!)
    :rolleyes:

8. Joe020681

Joe020681 Thread Starter

Hi,

Well i reinstall windows, cleaned out dust and checked all 3 fans, moved my ram stick to another slot and it still freezes. One thing I noticed though...When i reinstalled windows xp it seemed to work great for about 5-6 hours before freezing up again. Then usually in the morning of the next day when i turn it on it seems to freeze up alot more. An example was this morning. 5 minutes after turning on my computer for the first time, it froze up. Yet later in the day it freezes every couple hours. This is getting confusing.

9. buckaroo

buckaroo

10. vesselle

vesselle

Power Supply:
    i have a brand new case, Liang Liu (sorry bout the spelling), and its a 350 watt power supp. it seems to be fine. but i don't own a voltimeter or whatever it is that measures that. :)

would the power supply created freezes just start up out of nowhere? literally, one day i was screaming thru Morrowind (which is notoriously cpu intensive) and NWN and Warcraft 3.... the next it was lockup city. :( if it was inadequate power supp, i would think it would be noticed from the moment i changed cases.

its driving me crazy. i actually pulled out NetHack 3.4 just to get my game jones fixed up. :D

i don't seem to have memory issues... pulling them out and running them one at a time ( 256 stick and 128 stick... both are pc100 which is the max allowable by my old Asus P3BF board), swapping places, too.

i also downloaded a coupla of the mem programs from the link above. i dl'd the ones that said they were compatible with WIN 2K... since none were specifically XP compatible. :) they passed me clean, also. max usage 43% which sounds good for XP on 384 mb ram. that's with photoshop 7, 2 chat windows, IE, K-meleon, FTP download going all at once.

i don't have any thermal grease.
    i say that because i have been contemplating just reseating my chip fan. i have been noticing that if my CPU usage goes up to around 122'F that my fan rpm will drop sometimes from 4500 rpm to around 1000 rpm. it seems that when my CPU gets hotter, i'd want the fan to keep a steady pace rather than slowing down. :(

thanks for your help!

V***V

/EDIT

oops.
    left out the other thingie.
    i'm pretty stringent about playing XP compatible games and keeping everything updated.
    i had all the games updated with their newest patches. i also uninstalled them, and where i could get them, tried them with intermediate patches.
    like NWN, some people report problems with the newest update... so i use the rebuild utility to go back to scratch and apply patches one at a time from the beginning to see how it acts.

11. buckaroo

buckaroo

Well, I'm running out of brillant ideas now. ;) No, your psu sounds adequate and sounds like your RAM is fine. Not sure about the cpu temp, however, check out this site, but have your calculator handy to convert °F to °C.

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/

Did any of this follow any software updates? I don't have XP but I've read there are some unhappy campers out there over the SP1 update, especially involving games.

12. Joe020681

Joe020681 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Update on the situation. I did a full format of the drive. I reinstall windows xp home edition. It worked fine for a couple hours then started freezing again. In the morning however I turned it on and it froze up 2 or 3 times about 5 mins into windows. Could it be a ram stick going bad? I only have one 256 ram stick in my computer and even after formatting and reinstalling it still freezes. No one can seem to figure out whats going on. Any ideas or can someone tell me if a freezing comp is an issue of a ram stick going bad? I have 3 fans and they all work fine and i never had any problems like this. it started out of the blue valentines day. Thanks

13. buckaroo

buckaroo

Hi Joe, probably isn't bad ram, but check out the above posts for RAM utilities you can d/l and check your RAM.

Maybe someone else with more expereince with XP can jump in here.

:cool:

14. vesselle

vesselle

SP1 service pack has been installed since it was released.
    and each time i reformatted, when just the basic WinXP was installed the freezing started up right away. doesn't get worse or better as i install SP1, and several other critical updates. :(

the program i'm using to monitor things allows me to swap between Celsius and Farenheit. :D celsius just doesn't mean much to me, being an ugly american. :p motherboard monitor 5 is running my cpu, my memory, my fans, etc.

so, according to the heatsink guide... my temp is between 35'C and 50'C, while, with my board and cpu, the temp max is 80'- 85'C. so i'm definitely in the safe range there. PIII, 800E: slot one style, coppermine model.

anyway, i have progressed to freezing in other programs AND complete system shut downs. it seems i can't finish an email now. i swear it knows when i am about to sign my name, cuz the pc shut downs. frustrating! bleah! :) it has been shutting off between 5 - 10 times a day.

i have alarms for when the cpu goes above 125'F/55'C or if the fans stop working. so the alarm will go off. however, the shut downs seem random, unconnected with how hot the cpu is. i have gone as high as 140'F without shut downs.

the ONLY good news is that the alarms have driven my tia y tio crazy and they've taken up a collection for my birthday next month. i get to order a brand new machine this weekend!! one that i don't have to physically build myself. it feels kinda odd not building it myself, altho i DO get to design it and let the folks at ABS build it for me.

so, relief is in sight. but it bothers me to no end that i can't find the culprit in all this mess.

i'd still like to hear any ideas.

V***V

/EDIT

silly note:

i beat the machine to the punch this time!!! i posted this JUST before it decided to shut down. take that, Ms. PMS!!

*hangs head in shame* yes, that's what i've named her.

15. buckaroo

buckaroo

Well still can't account for what's going on, however.......

Is this one of their custom builds, without any ABS warranty?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice