1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer transition

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JoeBrant, Feb 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeBrant

JoeBrant Thread Starter

Hopefully I can explain this properly, I have a very old large desktop computer that I currently have my modem, router, printer etc. hooked up to. I want to replace it with a laptop as I am down sizing.
    The laptop and the desktop both have windows 7
    Can this be done simply or is it an elaborate process?
    I have been told that I will need to copy the desktop hard drive to the laptop hard drive
    To retain the settings but that seems extreme as I just want to replace a computer.

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

No, this would be incorrect, since the drivers for the desktop will be different than the laptop, and you may also run into OS licensing issues.

What do you need from the old desktop to be installed on the laptop as far as applications are concerned? Do you have backups of your personal data?

3. JoeBrant

JoeBrant Thread Starter

No back up necessary, everything I need is backed up to externals. I just want to swap out computers and have my internet/wifi works as it does now.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What problem(s) are you running into?

lochlomonder likes this.
  5. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

I don't see the issue here, to be honest. If it's merely a case of setting up the laptop for Internet access, you should be able to add it via wi-fi access on your router. Do you have a secured SSID, using a password to handle joining your network, Joe?

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    While you make still be able to get Windows 7 OS, the support for it has been or will very soon be discontinued (no security updates, etc.) New laptops will come with Windows 10.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice