1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer trashed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Geckojunkie, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Geckojunkie

Geckojunkie Thread Starter

We have a HP 524w all was well until the other night, not sure what happened as I was not here. Now all it does is reboots and gives the page where it ask about restart. Like in safe mode
    safe mode with networking
    last known
    etc..... at the bottom is says...
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt /Windows/system32/conf ig/SYSTEM
    It says to insert the Windows start up disk and hit R on the first screen and I have tried but it is like it is not even reading the disk. It just KEEPS going back to the other screen.
    ANY ideas or have I killed my computer?
    Oh and by the way I am coputer illiterate.
    Thanks
    Thomas

2. bigbear

bigbear

Try a system restore to an earlier time

3. Geckojunkie

Geckojunkie Thread Starter

I cant' get anywhere but the page that shows what I type on the other post. can you tell me how to bypass that page?

4. bigbear

bigbear

Ok you need to boot from the disc and repair windows
    Put in the widows disc and reboot.
    On start up keep tapping F8 and choose the drive that the disc is in as first boot.
    Follow the onscreen instructions to do a REPAIR of windows

5. tomdabomb

tomdabomb

i think your files all just corrupt, like it says when u boot up :p. now guys he just said he couldnt boot from the disc or get into windows. now what i think you should do is get a new Hard drive (preferably Seagate for me) and take your old one out. then try installing windows onto that new HD and once that is complete take your old hard drive and set it as the slave HD so you can take your old files and import them to you new one. if this doesnt work go complain to HP for a crappy computer (that is if you still have a warrenty).

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/581049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice