1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer turned itself off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bearino, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bearino

Bearino Thread Starter

I was playing a game yesterday when the PC turned itself off. I presumed a power surge perhaps, tried to turn it back on but nothing happened. The motherboard (an IP35) lights came on and showed error code 8.2. which means 'Enable ATX power supply'.
    Can anyone give me an idea as to how to troubleshoot? I've disconnected the psu and tried short circuiting it to see if it's working; nothing happened, but I don't know if I trust the method. I haven't got a multimeter though I could possibly nab one off my uncle.
    Any help would be appreciated.

So, I've removed the GPU, RAM, and have attempted to start after removing each component, with no luck.
    I've tried shorting the PSU to see if it's working. I used a case fan, which usually has several LED's lit up. Only one lit up, and it was slowly flashing rather than constant. The fans within the PSU and the case fan itself did not twitch at all.
    I need to correct my description of the LED code as well; on turning on power it changes from .2 to 0.1. and when I attempt to start the computer it changes to 8.2. Not sure if that makes a difference.

2. olryst

olryst

Do you have another PSU you could try.

3. Bearino

Bearino Thread Starter

Not at the moment and I'm not definite I'll be able to get one, unless I just buy a new one. My current one is a bit cheap, so I probably wouldn't feel too bad about it.

4. rickmamo

rickmamo

Be sure to do some spring cleaning while yer in there...air dust all the fans and intakes and heat sinks,...you might also make sure the pc health settings in bios are either set a little higher (allowing higher temp before it alarms or shuts down)...or disable it entirely but then if you really do have a heat problem you'll get no warning...so re-enable after testing unless yer sure you dont need a warning or a automatic BIOS initiated safety shut down

5. Bearino

Bearino Thread Starter

Fairly sure it's not the temp, I hadn't been playing long, maybe ten minutes, had played for longer earlier in the week. There wasn't a huge amount of dust in there.
    Besides, the PC has been off all day, it's still not wanting to turn on.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975591

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice