1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer turning itself off...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hyperpringle, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hyperpringle

hyperpringle Thread Starter

running xp on it. was having problems before so restored to factory settings doing a hard disk format in the process. problem still occuring.

any idea of problem.

could it be ram/overheating??!?!

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

2. spdabbs

spdabbs

I would lean towards overheat if it just powers off and doesn't auto-restart. Check this by booting to BIOS and checking the Hardware Monitor or PC Health section - CPU Temp is what you're interested in. Leave it in the BIOS for about 30mins and see if the temp is stable or if it shoots up. If it does, power down and give all the system fans (especially the CPU one) a good clean.

3. robby28

robby28

Ive had that happen to me for the last 6 months, finally got it fixed 2 days ago...
    simple as this....
    go to your local computer shop or ring them to come out and install a NEW FAN... they cost about $30.00 max to buy and then install yourself, otherwise i paid a man $50.00 to come and do it for me...
    Very simple operation, if i knew it was such a little thing i would have done it ages ago..

4. hyperpringle

hyperpringle Thread Starter

sorry. it's restarting.

i was a bit unclear.

have run memtest86+ and it found no probs with the RAM. Run a driver scan and apparently 32% of drivers are "bad".

could this be the problem?

5. bonk

bonk Banned

Turn OFF Automactically Restart so you can see the error message.

How to turn off Automatically Restart

Click Start then right click My Computer choose Properties
    Then Advanced tab
    Under Startup & Recovery click Settings
    Under System failure uncheck Automatically Restart
    Click OK.

Now the Error message should stay up so you can read it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/574530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice