1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer turning itself on?!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by L-I-X², Feb 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. L-I-X²

L-I-X² Thread Starter

Sys specs
    http://img205.exs.cx/img205/9058/dxdiag5gb.png

I don't understand why, but my computer is turning itself on! Just now - 6:08 PM, PST it turned itself on. Could it be someone controlling the computer remotely? Could it have to do with "Hibernate?" Usually I use "Hibernate" to turn off the computer. Please help! :confused:

If it helps, the cursor is not in the center of the screen, but about 4/10 of the way, horizontally, left-to-right, and a little bit above the taskbar.

2. DavidJ14

DavidJ14 Banned

Ghost Maybe Or Comp Haunted JK...........There something in ur bios that lets u auto start it when plug in of course

3. L-I-X²

L-I-X² Thread Starter

No, no, I haven't touched the BIOS in ages. I don't think it's that; the computer doesn't start itself up very often, but the first time it happened was at least a month ago. It's happened maybe 3 times, but I don't know what happens when I'm away at school......

4. realphx

realphx

its probly Wake On Lan. does your motherboard or network card suppoprt it? if so the computer will turn on randomly. my computer used to turn on whenever i turned on my upstairs computer.

5. L-I-X²

L-I-X² Thread Starter

No, I have a 2Wire DSL modem, but the computer and my laptop are not directly connected. Besides, the laptop was already on for a while before my computer turned itself on.

6. jephree

jephree

Does the computer resume from the hibernate position or has it rebooted?

Also: do you have a printer/fax connected?

7. natcom

natcom

it is definitely the Wake On Lan read your motherboard manual how to disable that feature all completely unplugged the computer from the power source if the computer turn on After that is definitely a ghost :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/334517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice