1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer turning off??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hung.n.bled, Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hung.n.bled

hung.n.bled Thread Starter

ok iv built a pc... it works... but wen i play any game.... after playin for a little... the computer will just turn off... on idle... the cpu temperature is about 55 degrees and the mobo is about 38 degrees. i have 2 cooling fans. not over clocked.... y the **** does it just turn off??? :mad: ..hmm.... anyways im runin an Intel P4 3.0ghz, ASUS P5ND2-SLI, ATI X1600XT, Corsair DDR2 512mb x 2..... meh yer... oh i have a 500W Omni psu. yer i dunno wat the problem is.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    that would typically be a temp type symtom - maybe worth reseating everthing again, memory etc - make sure the fans are all running OK

could try running some memory tests
    http://www.memtest.org/

did you put a thin layer of compound between CPU and fan

any thing in the event viewer

3. hung.n.bled

compound? no.. all i did... was... insert the cpu.. then place heatsink over top... with that... grey **** on the bottem of the heatsink. i thought thats all u needed? i dunno.. i dont know much. but yer tomorrow ill try rebuilding... see if that helps..try to **** around with it a littl more...

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

The tape on the bottom of heat synch really isn't terrible desireable for use but your temps are within range. I would bet they improve by removing that and coating a nice thin layer with Arctic Silver grease though. Do you have something onboard to tell you temps as you playe the games, because if it is idling at 55 it could spike way up and cause that.
    I would also right click My Computer, choose properties, advanced, settings and unheck automatically reboot so you will get an error message now which should help you track the problem if heat isn't it.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

Check your heatsink to processor contact and make sure the heatsink is tight to the processor. There is a complete set of integration details here;

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/res...top/proc_dsk_p4/technical_reference/99345.htm

If this was a boxed retail processor BE SURE to read the section at the bottom of the integration details labeled; Thermal Interface Material Attached to the Heatsink.

With the boxed processor removing the TIM may void your warranty.

6. hung.n.bled

ok well i re-installed the cpu and heatsink and its in firmly. still the same tempurature... and im unable to install ASUS Probe ll... wen i go 2 install it comes up sayin the "IO failed" .. i dunno its some folder on the disc im pretty sure. so yer im assuming that wen its 55* idle.. wen i play games.. it gets higher... then causes the pc to turn off. but sometimes wen it turns off... ill go 2 turn it back on, and its like a little power surge... all the fans and everything light up for a split second.. then stop... and nothing happens. im goi9n to put all the parts in another case i have and see if that helps at all.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

What is the ID number of the processor you are using?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your processor "should" throttle down to lower temp [if it is in fact overheating] 55C is not excessive for a socket 775 type. I could not find anything on your power supply. Take a look at the label on the side of the ps. It should list the amps on each voltage rail ie 12V 28amps. Post the specs on it.

Next I would try to find out if it is hardware or software / driver related. Restart the system in safe mode. Now run an app that will stress the system; I like to use prime95 [available for download from many sites] If it runs p95 in safe mode for an hour or so without errors, your hardware is probably OK. If it gets errors, restarts, etc, that points at a hardware issue.

9. hung.n.bled

ok ok.... i cant remember who it was... one of yas gave me a link to the cpu.. ty.. cuz the instructiosn i get witht he cpu suck.. end up i didnt have it properly locked in... so i locked it.. and instead of running at 55 degrees, it now runs at about 51 degrees... which is better then nothing? but remember i have just built the pc (not sure if i said earlier) ... so yer... did everything myself.. everything is new.. and im only a begginner. u asked the CPU ID... im... not sure wat that is?? the number is 630 if thats wat ur after... but ok i was just playin "Half life 2 episode 1"... played for a bit.. then pc just restarted... as soon as i turned back on i went to th bios.. it said 55 degrees.. maybe i should buy a super ****ing awesome cpu fan... but then my pc im on now doesnt have that problem?? grrrrr:mad: !! ... oh and earlier mentioend go in 2 my computer/properties/advanced etc etc. i did that. doesnt come up with a warning.. just reboots... startin 2 piss me off cuz i built this pc pretty much just for watchin movies and playin games. i havnt tried changin cases over tho... but i have a feelin this case/psu is a bit dodgy... but yer i dunno cuz i dont know anything. but yer my cpu is a P4 3.0ghz 630+ with HT enabled.

10. hung.n.bled

my PSU is from australia... im from australia.. its probably some cheap company then... and yer iv seen the voltage... h.o ill tell ya.

+3.3V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5VSB
    30A 50A 25A 0.3A 0.8A 2.0A

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, I see 1 12V rail. That is a 24pin motherboard. You are not using a 20pin power supply and an adapter are you??

12. hung.n.bled

seeing im a computer illiturate (prob spelling illiturate too) ... i may have trouble followin tech terms :) .. BUT yer the mobo is 24 pin and the ATX cable is 20 pin, but the works with 20 pin aswell... like... yer it fits in the slot thingy. just runnin the lead straight from the ps 2 the socket. but then.. yano how theres that other atx socket near the cpu... i am able to use 8 pin plug there?? i dunno but im usin a four pin plug.:D

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

IMO you are just asking for problems running an adapter. What the 20-24pin adapter does is split the single existing 12V into 2 12V as required by the mb. So if you have a single 12V with 24amps, you end up with two 12V with 12amps each. Not a good way to go.

You have a high powered video card and a mb and cpu that just eat power. Do not try and use a 20pin psu for this system. Asus put a 24pin atx connector on the board for a reason. It needs the additional power provided by dual 12V rails.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW you might get by doing with a real high quality 20pin psu; something like an antec or enermax. I seriously doubt you could do it with your psu.

15. hung.n.bled

so..... i buy a new ps.. (a good one) with 24ATX cable.... alrite.. well i got suss on the ps cuz.. i had a couple fans and a front light pluged in 2 the power adapters... it woodnt boot.. like a power surge i mentioned earlier... then i unplugged it all cept the dvd rom and hard drive, n it booted fine.... so yer ill look at a descent ps with good wattage and 24pin. thanks guy.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/476375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice