1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer turning off.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ustacp, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ustacp

ustacp Thread Starter

I have a Compaq (fairly old) that when you push the power button, it will turn on for about 1-2 seconds and then shuts back off. During the 1-2 seconds that the pc turns on, you can see the fans for the heat sink and for the power supply turn on. It looks like they both reach the peak of speed and then that is when the pc shuts off. If you keep pushing the power button none-stop, you can actually get the fan to stay at a steady speed (Probably not good for the pc but it may help solve the problem). I replaced the power supply, re-applied new thermal paste for the heat sink, and made sure everything is installed on the board correctly and firmly. Any ideas of what may be causing this? I do not have any tools to test the hardware. Thanks in advance.

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Do you get any beeps?

Could be the motherboard, and you already replaced what I first suspected, the Power Supply.

3. BG-0

BG-0

Also test if the power button itself is the problem and jump start by using a screw driver to momentarily connect the pins that the power button wire connects to.

4. ustacp

ustacp Thread Starter

No, there are not any beeps at all. I have actually tried 2 different power supplys that I knew worked.

5. ustacp

ustacp Thread Starter

I actually tried a different power button and cable from another pc I have and it did the same thing. I will also try to do that just to rule that out.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/843717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice