1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer turning on and off repeatedly

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Keatk, Jul 10, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Keatk

Keatk Thread Starter

Hello. I have an Acer Aspire 5742-6814. I pressed the on button and the computer starts and the turns off after 5 seconds, then turns back on and turns off after 5 seconds repeatly. The computer will not proceed past the Acer logo. I can not proceed to do anything. I took out the battery and plugged the adaptor in and it does the same thing. I have Windows 10. What can I do to fix?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

Try resetting the Cmos by removing the battery as shown in the video below. Please do not use metal tweezers though, that will short out the battery !
    Just remove the battery and then see if you get a message that the Cmos is wrong (or similar wording)
    and press the indicated key to get into the Bios, set to defaults and save and exit.
    If you need to remove the wireless card to expose the battery as in the video try to do it without removing the antenna leads as they can be fiddly to re-connect.
    Does it get any futher in the boot process now ?

3. Keatk

Keatk Thread Starter

How do I remove the battery without the tweezers?

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Try a small screwdriver, the battery should pop out when pushed towards the top of the screen as shown in the video. The main thing is not to connect the top and bottom of the battery with anything metallic.

5. Keatk

Keatk Thread Starter

Do I leave the battery out and turn the computer back on or do I put the battery back in?

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Leave it out for a minute or so and press the power button for 30 seconds (with the main battery and power cable removed) then put the Cmos battery back in and reconnect the wireless card (and attach the antennas if you had to detach them).

7. Keatk

Keatk Thread Starter

It did not work.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Was there a message about the CMOS needing to be reset (or similar wording) ?

9. Keatk

Keatk Thread Starter

No, there was no message. It just turned on showed the acer logo and turned off and restarted showed the acer logo and turned off again.

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    You could fit a new Cmos battery. In the meantime try leaving the Cmos battery out and power it up that way.

11. jenae

jenae

Hi, leave the mains power adapter disconnected does it boot on battery only? Some times the power adapter plug in gets loose and the connection drops off, check how yours is seated (is it firm).

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice