1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer turns itself off randomly for no reason?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ketzal, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ketzal

Ketzal Thread Starter

Hi, this is my 1st post so bare with me,
    i'm running a 2800xp Barton amd (333), 1GB of corsair value ram (333), a radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb, 550watt power supply, on an asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard. Basically whats happening is that the PC is just randomly powering down for no reason, just like sum1 pulling the plug on it, and i have to pull the power cord out of the back and wait for a few seconds to turn the thing back on. but its only doing it when i'm playing games on a reasonably high res? but its starting to get worse on the lower spec games aswell now? does any1 have any ideas as to why its doing thins? currently i'm thinking its either the power supply(which is about 2months old) the graphics card ( about 5months) or the ram (1stick about 2months and the other about 6). any information or any1 with the same problem? anything would b useful. Thanks
    J

2. hansmax

hansmax

You may also have inadequate cooling for your CPU. Check that the fans work, and give it a dusting.

3. Ketzal

Ketzal Thread Starter

thanx for your reply, well theres 5 fans in the case and the chip runs at 40°c and board at 28°c and there doesnt seem to be any dust there :S

4. Ketzal

Ketzal Thread Starter

Not sure if any1 else is having this problem but i think i may have found out whats wrong, it appears to be that one of my RAM sticks could b faulty, currently ordering new memory to see if this solves the problem, will keep you informed

5. zxor38

zxor38

someone once told me that if ur computer is programmed to shut off it will!!! look into the cmos settings andd thoroghly read all lines

6. Rockn

Rockn

There is power management in the BIOS, there is nothing that will "program" your computer to shut off in there. Windows power management may also be placing your system into hibernation mode. Disable all power maagement in the BIOS and all Windows power management.

7. Ketzal

Ketzal Thread Starter

thanx again every1, the hibernation function isnt enabled and the cmos has been reset, you cnat turn the machine back on once its 'crashed' without unplugin it tho :S
    Have done different testing on the psu, memory and graphics card and the one stick of ram on its own is causing problems :S therefore asuming its just the ram a new stick should sort this out?

8. Ketzal

Ketzal Thread Starter

doh! it wasnt the flaming RAM.... any1 got any ideas? anything would b welcome

9. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Turn off automatic reboot on error by going into control panel/ system/ advanced tab/ startup and recovery button. Then look for a error message..

It could be that your home outlet is overloaded, if you have the monitor and all your equipment plugged into one outlet, move everything except the cpu to another outlet..

10. Timmaynz

Timmaynz

I've got the same problem and my machines similar in spec athlon xp, 9800 vid card even a gig of ram.
    im going out today to get a new psu.
    I have had this problem before but i put up with it and it stoped only to start again this week.
    all my components are nice and chilly and the ambient room temperature hasnt been more that 16deg or so.

11. Ketzal

Ketzal Thread Starter

yeah i was thinkning of doing the same thing, currently running 1.5 Gb ram now aswell :S and also got an arctic cooling fan for my 9800 pro :s if you could let me know how it goes i'd b greatful!! :D

12. Timmaynz

Timmaynz

new psu and havent had any more problems for the last 48 hours fingers crossed.
    although i had one freeze but tht was my faut for oc'ing my graphics card a wee bit too much.
    yeah a massive heatsink is a good idea for 9800's i have a thermaltake giant 2 with an old standard amd cpu fan on top and a pci slot blower underneath.
    I've sen a mod that sticks a whole cpu heatsink onto the gpu.
    make sure u have sinks on the memory chips aswell.

13. Ketzal

Ketzal Thread Starter

thanks very much, right i'm gunna order one now :D hopefully the'll sort it now :D

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/283517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice