1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer turns off, can only turn on when battery removed and put back in?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by thickone1740, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thickone1740

thickone1740 Thread Starter

I have a HP Probook 4730s and it has an i7 processor, 8gb ram, 700GB HDD. I have this new software program called Corel Videostudio Pro. I am in the middle of rendering a large 20GB HD video and all of a sudden the computer shuts off. And the weird thing is that I cannot turn it back on, even when plugged in. I can only turn it back on when I remove the battery and replace it.
    What can I do to finish this rendering of my video without the computer shutting down?
    James

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Install this software CPUID Hardware Monitor and check your system temps when you are rendering the video, I suspect an overheating issue.

3. thickone1740

thickone1740 Thread Starter

It is overheating. Is there anything that I can do to prevent this, short of not rendering the video (but this is what I need to do).

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Normally overheating is caused by dust build up in the heat sink and fan area. Dismantling the PC and blowing out the heatsink with a can of compressed air usually does the trick. If you are not comfortable taking it apart then often just blowing through the vents can stop the problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1034978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice