1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer turns off randomly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steven44, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steven44

Steven44 Thread Starter

Hey, folks!

My new computer (one month old) recently started turning itself off seemingly at random (while playing a game, surfing the web, etc.). At first I thought it might be a faulty PSU, video card or mobo, so I took my rig into the guys who built it for me and they replaced the video card. This didn't solve the problem. I took it back and this time, since they too were baffled, they kindly gutted my machine and replaced every part (or so they say) including the video card, mobo and PSU. In fact, they upgraded the mobo to a higher-end model as their way of saying sorry! Everything seems to be running a lot smoother and the shutdowns are happening a whole lot less often - only once since I brought it home from the most recent repair attempt. In my book, though, once is still one time too many.

I've done my fair share of research on the issue and advice on the matter seems to range from a bad video card, mobo or PSU to Windows XP being finnicky to a loose stick of RAM. Needless to say, I am stumped and so are the guys who built this machine for me. So, with that said, I turn it over to you - the real experts!

Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi! You're my only hope!

System specs (as far as Everest and my uneducated eyes will tell me) are:

BIOS: Award (09/11/08)
    CPU: 2x Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2666 MHz (9 x 296)
    Mobo ID: 09/11/2008-P35-W627DHG-6A79OA1LC-00
    PSU: One Power PS Premium (AC In: 115V/10A_230V-5A_60Hz/50Hz, DC Out: +3.3V, +5V, +12V, +12V, -12V, +5V)
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (512 MB)
    HD: ST3320613AS (298 GB, IDE)
    RAM: 3326 MB
    INA: Generic Marvell Yukon 88E8056 based Ethernet Controller (221.151.250.194)
    Keyboard: Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS
    Mouse: PS/2 Compatible

2. peck1234

peck1234

please download memtest and boot from the cd...

Most likely a memory issue...

3. Steven44

Steven44 Thread Starter

It just happened again; that makes two times since the most recent repair attempt.

A few more points worth mentioning, I suppose:

-Whereas before the machine would turn off and stay off, this time around it is kind enough to boot itself back up after it turns off.
    -I never receive an error message of any kind, be it during start-up or once I log into Windows. In fact, logs aren't even made in the event viewer.
    -Mobo is running at a comfortable 35c, GPU is at 44c and hard disk is at 35c.

Thanks again to anyone who can help.

4. raybro

raybro

Do you have temperature monitoring for your processor. Overheating of the processor is one possible cause spontaneous shutdown. This is especially common when running a game.

Another common heat buildup condition is where one has the tower located. Inside a cabinet with inadequate air flow can do that.

Just a couple of possibilities... Raybro

EDIT... you pretty much answered my scenarios while I was typing.

5. Steven44

Steven44 Thread Starter

So I just checked the voltage in BIOS to make sure everything was at safe levels. The results are:

CPU Core Voltage = 1.25V
    DDR2 = 1.93V
    CPU VTT = 1.11V
    MCH 1.25V = 1.25V
    ATX +12V = 12.02V
    ATX +3.3V = 3.2V

I also tried running MemTest, though that didn't work out. I first let the CD boot itself and, after getting to 11% in the test, it booted itself out and started the BIOS fresh again. I then tried running the new multi-core support test and nothing happened - in fact, it froze. I had to remove the CD and restart the system.

6. peck1234

peck1234

1. Right Click my computer, go to advanced, startup and repair, and uncheck windows automatic restart..... Also check the box for small memory dump..

2. Download Hwmonitor and post a screenshot of your temps...

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

You need to post the EXACT make and model of your power supply. You only posted the available output voltages, not the power of the power supply.

Also, provide a link to the power supply.

8. Steven44

Steven44 Thread Starter

The label on the power supply reads:

One Power (in big letters next to a circle logo, so I assume that's the brand)
    Power Supply
    Premium
    Model: P-500

Further logos/trademarks include the names RoHS and Tendon.

Also, automatic restart is unchecked in the Startup and Recovery tab, with a small dump memory (64kb) being allowed for writing debug info.

9. Steven44

Steven44 Thread Starter

Here is the screenshot of what HWMonitor had to say.

Attached Files:

10. peck1234

peck1234

all your temperatures are fine

Like I said its most likely bad memory, try removing one stick...

11. Steven44

Steven44 Thread Starter

I've never messed around with memory before; how am I supposed to know if one of the two sticks has gone bad? And further to the point, if one of them has gone bad how am I supposed to know which one it is?

12. Steven44

Steven44 Thread Starter

Quick bump. I appreciate the help so far, guys. Thanks.

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

Everest is not providing enough information on the machine's specs.

I google the Mobo ID: P35-W627DHG-6A79OA1LC-00 and can't get enough information to identify the manufacturer, model and revision number (if a revision number is applicable).

I google the PSU info provided: One Power PS Premium and get no hits.

For RAM all that is shown is 3326MB.

For the CPU: 2x Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2666 MHz (9 x 296) this is not enough information.

To try to correctly diagnose your problem the following information is needed.

Motherboard: EXACT Manufacturer, model number and revision number (if applicable).
    RAM: EXACT Make, model number.
    CPU: sSpec number
    PSU: EXACT make and model number

If you don't have the needed information, the builder should certainly be able to supply it to you. A decent builder should have supplied you with a complete spec sheet when the machine was delivered.

14. Steven44

Steven44 Thread Starter

I'll go down to the shop I got the computer from on Tuesday to see if I can get the specifics.

I had another shutting down incident today, though this one was different from the others: the machine turned off, attempted to restart, and turned off again before even making it to BIOS. It then turned on again, turned off and turned on again - choosing to stay on that time.

As for the RAM, I ran Prime95 last night for about an hour on the RAM intensive setting and nothing happened. I'm not sure if that is indicative of anything or not, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

15. Steven44

Steven44 Thread Starter

I just got Everest to make a hardware report that appears to be able to provide some of the specifics you were asking for.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/875040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice