1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer turns off then pressed again and turns on fine?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ben.d, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ben.d

ben.d Thread Starter

My computer turns off then pressed again and turns on fine. This maybe due i went cheap and got a psu with case but i believe it needs to warm up for it to turn on.

Thanks for the help!

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Do you mean it shuts off while your using it?

3. ben.d

ben.d Thread Starter

no i mean i press the button to turn pc on first it turns on for like a sec and off then i press it again and it runs fine.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Could be the ON/Off/power switch

5. Megabite

Megabite

You can test that theory by using a piece of wire or something to short the power switch so it connects the wires and if it starts up ok then points to the switch

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

Jump a known good power supply to the board and see if that solves the problem. If it were the switch the machine shouldn't start initially.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Cold boot problems that go away after the first boot are almost always a pw supply problem. What happens is that the pw supply capacitors lose their residual charge when you have the system off for a while. When you attempt to pw ON, the pw supply just cannot supply the required amount of wattage to boot the system. Once it fails the first boot, the caps have some time to recharge and it works the second time.

Buy a quality pw supply and you should be good to go.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/887246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice