1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer turns off without warning

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by emt3920, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emt3920

emt3920 Thread Starter

My computer boots up and runs fine for several minutes to a few hours then all of a sudden the monitor screen goes black and (if it is on the screen) the mouse pointer gets big. I have to reboot and then sometimes it will work fine for as long as I am using it. Sometimes it does the same things several hours later or several minutes later. In other words I have not been able to establish a pattern for when it happens. Anybody have any ideas what may be going on?
    I use Windows 2000 Pro, Amd processor(sempron), 512 Megs of RAM, Computer motherboard about a year old.I got windows 2000 installed because I could not get XP registered with MS after old MB died. I kinda like Win 2K better anyway.
    I have cleaned out my case and tried to make sure processor is not overheating.Just am stumped as to what may be the problem. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. helpmerick

helpmerick

Are you sure the fans are all working properly in the case? Heat is always a potential, but you might also be having some problems with the video card based on your description. Can you swap out the video card with another to see if that solves it?

Good luck.

3. brillser

brillser

4. brillser

brillser

Also try this,

The next thing to check is the Event Viewer. This will list all events, and possibly what is causing all the reboots.

Also, it may be as simple as power management?

Right-click on the desktop and select "properties" then "Screensaver" tab. Then select the "Power" button and check what settings you have under the "Power Schemes" tab. Just make sure all options are set to "Never".

You could also try checking your BIOS temperature settings. Reboot your computer and press "del" key (or whatever key lets you boot to BIOS settings). Then when in the BIOS settings check the temperature settings and see what the shutdown temperater is set to.

Is your machine still within warenty?

5. emt3920

emt3920 Thread Starter

My computer did the same thing last did the same thing last night but when I turned it off and tried to restart, I got a blue screen with a STOP:0x0000007B (0x816266f0,0xc0000032,0x00000000,0x00000000)INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE Message. This had never happened before. I went to Microsoft knowledge base article that googling the STOP error message sent me to. It suggested trying to use a boot disk. I had made three different boot disks but I can't get either of them to do anything. The computer will not boot into safe mode either. I have not recently installed any hardware on the machine. About two months ago the last hardware I installed was a USB hub but I took it off when computer started freezing up like it was doing. The error message suggested checking for viruses but I don't know how to do that without being able to boot up. I did a surface check of the hard drive using the Paragon HDD manager boot disk and it did not show anything.
    Any ideas or suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thank You

6. Rivera42

Rivera42

I've had something like this happen a couple of times on me with no warning. I checked Event Viewer and found that it hadn't logged anything at the time of shutdown. Just up and restarted.

7. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Quick shutdowns are usually a symptom of a overheating system. The BIOS will handle this, and you will not see anything logged by the OS due to it. What are the temps when your system is running? Have the drives (hard disk) suffered from overheating? What is the MAX temp they have registered (you'll need to get diagnostics from the manufacturer to find this out).

What is the temp of the CPU after one hour? What is the temp inside the case? What is the surface temp of your hard disk?

Any disk running over 45 degrees Celsius is going to fail sooner.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!