1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer turns off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Robzr85, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robzr85

Robzr85 Thread Starter

1. Processor: 2.00 gigahertz AMD Sempron
    2. Motherboard: NF-M2SV
    3. RAM: 960 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'A1' is Empty
    Slot 'A2' is Empty
    Slot 'A3' is Empty

4. Video Card: NVIDI Geforce 6100 nforce 405
    5. Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio
    6. Hard Drive: ST3160023AS (160.04 GB)
    7. DVD Drive: ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P
    8. OS: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

Hey, ive been having this problem for a few months now and its slowly gotten worse. My comp turns off (not shutdown). It would happen less often and randomly at first (or mabey it wasnt random, I dont realy know. It happened too far appart for me to make connections) Its gotten much worse (and more frequent) in the last week. It seems to happen when I: plug my mp3 player in, install my usual graphics card driver (I always used this driver and it never caused this before) or if I play a youtube video it also turns off. The computer stays on if I leave it on the desktop or just search text sites etc. I didnt add any new hardware before the problem started.

What Ive tried:

I replaced the power supply with one of the same wattage and its been tested on another computer and worked, and it made no diff.

Ive tried speedfan and got no higher temp than 40c.

I tried heavyload and used 100% of the CPU and it stayed fine (I thought it mabey a faulty cpu becuase, I ran speedfan and I tested running a youtube video and watched the cpu go to 100% then the comp crashed)

The fans are working fine.

Tryed unplugging all the non essential hardware one at a time and turning on but the same problem happens.

I erased the hardrve, formated and then installed a fresh copy of windows. so that must rule out a software problem, right?

I read that if it was the memory then the computer would make unusal beeping noises and mabey blue screen me. none of this happens, its a complete power off (no lights on and doesnt restrt)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thnx

Rob

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

I recently had a similar problem.
    Had to take the computer apart to find it.
    Turned out a loose screw had gotten stuck
    behind the motherboard and was pulling the
    voltage down.

Another cause may be that a motherboard standoff
    may have been installed in the wrong place.
    They should only be installed where they line up
    with the holes in the motherboard.
    When the components on the motherboard heat up,
    The board can flex and make contact with an out of
    place standoff.

You might want to run memtest on the system.
    Memory can have problems without setting off
    alarms in the system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026256

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice