1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer turns on and off instantly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blahraptors, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blahraptors

blahraptors Thread Starter

Hi folks

Been a while since I posted. So long that I forgot my username and had to re-register! Anyway this is what's happening to my computer: I press the power button, turns on for a split second (lights + fans running) but shuts off right after (no system beep). I searched the forums for this problem and found similar problems, but not exactly the same as this. If I keep pressing the power button it is likely to do the same thing but theres a chance the system will boot as normal. If I hold the power button, the system will repeatedly turn on and off, and eventually (after a random number of tries) the computer will boot up. Once it boots, the computer will run as smooth as ever and won't turn off by itself. I'm 80% sure it's the PSU, however, I'm hesitant to go out and buy a replacement because the current PSU is an Antec TruePower 480W. I presume Antec is a very respectable brand (correct me if I'm wrong) and it is still under their 3yr warranty period). I did not expect this to break down before 2 years time so I just want to make sure it really is the PSU before I buy a replacement. Maybe I should try another brand? I also checked Antec's warranty online and S+H is not covered for warranties so I figured if the PSU is faulty it would be wiser to just buy a ~$50 replacement.

TIA

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice