1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Turns On and Off Twice -OR- Turns On and Off Contin

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShogunTaira, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ShogunTaira

ShogunTaira Thread Starter

First off, hello fellow tech peoples! [​IMG]

Now, to business:

Specs:

- ASUS Maximus Vi Hero
    - Intel i7-4770k
    - NVIDIA GTX 780 Ti
    - 2x16 GB RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum
    - Corsair H100i
    - Corsair RM750 PSU

The Issue:

As I've mentioned, the computer either goes into two states: it either starts up fine, until about error code 79 - CSM Initialization then pops back down to 00 and shuts off. It then proceeds to turn on again for a split second before turning all the way off and never back on again. The second state is that it turns off again at error code 79 and turns back on, but it will infinitely repeat this process. Both states do not display anything on screen and do not boot into the BIOS screen.

Tried (and failed) solutions:

- I've already checked up on the POST Checklist and tried all solutions.
    - Everything is firmly connected, everything that CAN be connected IS connected.
    - I've tried to start it up with every combination of RAM sticks: 4 in all slots, 2 in 2 slots and a single slot as well as none at all; still get the error. (no RAM installed gives me error 53)
    - All components are firmly seated in their respective slots.
    - The PSU is a newly acquired one, straight out of the box.
    - I've disconnected each component and tested it without them and have still received the same problem.
    - I've tried resetting the CMOS battery to no avail.
    - I initially believed it to be an inoperable case fan, but I got that working and it still gives me the same problem.
    - I've also tried plugging in the PSU to both a wall outlet and surge protector. Both haven't had any effect.

If it helps a bit, prior to this problem when starting up the computer, only the PSU fan would spin for a split second. No power to the rest of the motherboard, just to the PSU, and it wouldn't power on again unless I unplugged the PSU's main cable from the wall.

I've been tearing my ears off trying to get this thing to work for the past 24 hours; at this point, I'm absolutely spent. I'm starting to think that it might be the motherboard that's gone AWOL, but I can't tell for sure. Any help regarding this is extremely appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    You mention the PSU is new, why did you replace it?
    What was the make, model and approximate age of the old PSU?

Just because this one is new doesn't guarantee it isn't faulty. My initial thoughts (with only very limited information) are a possible PSU, motherboard or CPU problem.

Just found this thread, might be useful:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37676-Maximus-VI-Hero-Q-Code-79-boot-failure

Seems to suggest you need a BIOS/EUFI update to 0804

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Is this a new build OR did it work correctly in the past?
    If it did work in the past, what bios revision are you running? It seems there are a LOT of bios updates that address system stability.
    Have you done an out of the case build using the onchip video? If not, I would do so.

4. ShogunTaira

It's an EVGA SuperNova 1000 G1 and it's been working fairly well up until a few days ago. Plus, I've already check that thread out and nothing's helped me with this.

It had previously worked about a week ago. That's when it started to shut itself off after given amounts of time; first it would shut down only in games, then simply starting the computer up for about 5 minutes, then finally almost immediately after turning the rig on. That's when I swapped it out for the new Corsair PSU.

I've had very little experience with the BIOS so the processes of updating it, flashing it, etc are otherworldly to me. Also tried the out of rig setup to no avail.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do the out of case build using only the onchip video. See if you still have the reboot problem.

6. ShogunTaira

Didn't I say I did that? It still gives the same error.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Unless I am missing something, I do not see anywhere where you state that you did an out of case build.

8. ShogunTaira

First post: "Also tried the out of rig setup to no avail." Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Also an update on the situation: I tried doing another reseat of all my components and the USB 3.0 connector to the mobo seemed to push it further along, but now it hangs out at what appears to be "b4".

9. replay

replay

10. ShogunTaira

11. replay

replay

so did u follow the advice?????>

12. ShogunTaira

Yes... if you read my posts earlier, I've tried every solution I could possibly think of. Now, the situation has changed slightly.

13. replay

replay

so i'm abit confused now
    the advice in the link was to update the bios and it fixed the problem!!!!
    in post no 4 you said
    I've had very little experience with the BIOS so the processes of updating it, flashing it, etc are otherworldly to me
    so, have you updated the bios to the latest revision????

14. ShogunTaira

No, I said "multiple times" as a response to Googling the issue, not confirming that I followed the link's suggestion. The statement stands true, however; I keep seeing posts suggesting to update the BIOS, but when I research how to update it, it's something related to seeing the actual BIOS screen - which I'm physically unable to do.

15. replay

replay

is it still out of case build? if so how are u connecting the usb 3.0 connect?? (leave it disconnected for now)

read this .... I have since learned it was b4, which means "USB Hot plug"

from here http://www.overclock.net/t/1413905/official-asus-maximus-vi-hero-owners-and-overclocking-club/290

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1157475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice