1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer turns on, but black screen :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Helplease1989, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helplease1989

Helplease1989 Thread Starter

Hi!
    I was using my laptop earlier and the screen went black! I reboot it and the screen flashes to normal for a second and goes blank again! I know it's running because it powers on normally and even the little tone is played before logging on screen comes up! Please help! Its a toshiba windows vista!
    Thanks heaps!
    Shay

2. NICK G

NICK G Banned

Inverters and bad backlights can be hard to diagnose without just replacing the parts but it sounds as one or the other is out/going out.
    If you check these out yourself, good luck. Laptops are a bear and unless you've done a few, a repair shop may be best.
    Good luck.:)

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Turn the laptop on. When the screen blanks out, shine a bright flashlight on the screen. If you see a faint image of the normal desktop, it is either the Backlight or the Inverter. The inverter would be an easier and less expensive repair. You can rule out the graphics card by attaching an external monitor and pressing the the proper Fn+F key combination to see if an external monitor operates properly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1059254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice