1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Turns on but no display, then will not turn off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kingrando, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kingrando

kingrando Thread Starter

Ok i have a problem, i recently replaced my mobo in order to use a dual core i have, while installing it, everything seems to go fine, i do not see any loose connections or anything of the sort. So i hooked it all back up and turned it on, then i waited for a couple secs and no display came up, so i tried to turn it off but the power button will not turn it off and the reset button does nothing, i do not know what could be causing this but the cpu is running and everything i just cannot get a display and im hoping i did not fry anything...any ideas what can cause this/ and how to fix it?

2. Flags

Flags

k: If you're trying to boot to your original HDD, it won't work with the new mobo.
    The HDD is tied to your old BIOS and hardware.
    As to why it won't turn off using the Power button, I have no ideas.
    I will assume you are using XP.
    You will have to reinstall XP from your XP disk-not any Reinstallation disk you may have, that won't work either.
    After reinstalling the OS, you will need your new mobo Drivers and Utilities disk to install the Chipset, Audio, Video and network drivers.
    Hope this helps.

3. ProWFP

ProWFP

What the?

Tied to the old bios and hardware it what way?

4. Flags

Flags

Pro: I don't know the reason for it, I just know it can't boot to the new BIOS and hardware.
    I'm sure that there are users here that can give you the technical answer, but I'm just talking from experience.
    BTW Bummer having your birthday so close to Christmas.

5. ProWFP

ProWFP

LOL! yeah, real bummer, my dad just ordered my b-day / christmas presents rofl, Foxconn C51 nForce 590, OCZ Reaper 2gb dual channel kit @ 800mhz, Antec Nine Hundred, OCZ GameXStream 700w, gonna put them together with my trusty 4400+ and GeForce 8600GT.

Btw,

I've never haved any problems switching hdd's from PC to PC, o_o.

6. Flags

Flags

Well, you have now. Let's see how kingrando makes out with this.
    I'm betting he has to reinstall windows.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

When you change motherboards, you have to reinstall a clean Windows. The hardware is different and part of what made XP so stable, was it's reliance on a minimum of hardware changes. But that doesn't sound like it would have anything to do with reset button and power on and off. My guess is your jumpers for power and reset either aren't correct, or you have the beginnings of a bad power supply.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice