1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer turns on - no display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nottRobin, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nottRobin

nottRobin Thread Starter

Hiya.

I just spent close to £800 on computer parts to build myself a new PC. Ambitiously, I went for the Thermaltake VE2000BWS chassis with a liquid cooling system (hereafter: LCS), even though I have never even seen one before - and I think this might be the route of my problem.

Here's the internal parts I bought for my new computer:
    Thermaltake VE2000BWS
    Intel Core 2 Duo (2.33GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 1333 MHz Fsb)
    MSI P35 Platinum Combo Motherboard
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    400W PSU
    ASUS EN8800 GT Graphics

So I put the CPU and RAM in the motherboard and screwed the motherboard into the computer. I then connected the fans and put the graphics card into the motherboard.

And it worked. The computer booted and I could see the screen, where it (naturally) complained about not being able to find a bootable device. So far so good.

Then I tried to set up the LCS. I took the massive fan off the CPU chip, carefully spread a thin layer of the provided white paste as I was told and connected the cooling system's "water block" to the CPU instead. I cut the pipes and used them to connect the pump to the water block, the water block to the radiator and then the radiator back to the water tank (which is connected to the pump).

I then attached the pump and the radiator to the PSU, filled the liquid tank with coolant and turned on the computer (as instructed) and kept adding coolant as the tank pumped it around the system, so there was enough to keep the tank full. We had a bit of a hitch here as when I first turned it on there was a kink in one of the pipes, so the liquid didn't flow properly, stopping half way through the water block. It took us a while to work out why this was happening, but the CPU didn't seem to get too hot or anything...

Anyway, once the LCS was set up I plugged in the monitor again and turned on the computer. This time there was no output on the screen. The computer turns on and there don't seem to be any problems, except the monitor doesn't get any signal. All the LEDs on the motherboard seem to be working, including the one next to the PCI slot for the graphics card, signifying that it is indeed plugged in. And when I turn it on I get the standard beep, signifying something like that the BIOS has done the initial check (more information on this would be appreciated) but I get no display signal.

My housemate suggested it could be a power problem, as the EN8800 GT is quite a power hungry beast, requiring its own PCI power cable. "But it worked before" I said, to which he suggested that now the LCS pump and the radiator might be taking too much power. So I unplugged the pump and the radiator, and even all the fans, so I was just powering the motherboard and the graphics card and it still didn't work.

So I assumed it must be that I had somehow broken the graphics card as I was installing the LCS. So I stole my housemate's graphics card out of his computer, which works fine, and put it in mine. This one didn't require a PCI power cable so it shouldn't have the same power issue. But this still didn't work.

So now I don't know how to work out where the problem is. It seems to me I've eliminated the graphics card, so it must be either the power, the motherboard or the CPU. However, I did think my experiments with the power should have eliminated this too, although my housemate remains unconvinced. And if it was the CPU wouldn't the motherboard complain? Come to that would the PC turn on at all? So maybe it must be the motherboard? But doesn't that standard-issue beep I get when I first turn on the computer suggest that all is well with the motherboard?

Any suggestions on any of these would be most appreciated, as I am finding it increasingly annoying to have close to £800 of equipment sitting in my room and not be able to use any of it!

Thanks,
    Robin.

2. addevsoft

addevsoft

I think its best you take your PC in and get them to check it for you, fearing that
    something might go wrong and you could end up losing your warranty or even the
    PC components.

3. nottRobin

nottRobin Thread Starter

Get who to check it? The parts weren't sold together and I didn't buy it all from any one supplier. I'm sure the individual parts have warranties, but without knowing which one is faulty I don't know what needs to be checked.

4. nottRobin

nottRobin Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/689264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice