1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer turns on with fans working but no display

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Jmack53m, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jmack53m

Jmack53m Thread Starter

Occasionally when I turn on my PC the LEDs light up and the fans turn on but no display goes onto my screen.
    After I leave it for a day it will boot up as normal but once again I turn it off and the problem reoccurs.
    I have tried to clear all the dust and unplugged all the wires inside the computer and connected them again, I reinstalled windows 10 for a fresh installation when it was turned on and I have also taken my cmos battery out.
    Nothing seems to be working and I'm not even sure where the problem is coming from let alone how to fix it.

specs:
    Graphics card: amd r9 270x
    Processor : AMD fx I cant tell the exact processor as my pc wont turn on right now
    Ram : 8 GB
    Corsair power supply cx600
    Gigabyte motherboard GA-970A-DS3P
    I have tried switching out the cable for the monitor, it is working with no problems.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Please post the system specs so we know what kind of hardware we are working on.

Based on preliminary information, I would say you have a failing graphics card, bad monitor cable, or a corrupted/incorrect driver.

3. Jmack53m

Jmack53m Thread Starter

`
    Graphics card: amd r9 270x
    Processor : AMD fx I cant tell the exact processor as my pc wont turn on right now
    Ram : 8 GB
    Corsair power supply cx600
    Gigabyte motherboard GA-970A-DS3P

I have tried switching out the cable for the monitor, it is working with no problems.

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Good. Sometimes it's a simple fix.

5. Jmack53m

Jmack53m Thread Starter

Sorry what i mean is that the cables working fine im thinking its a mobo or psu problem as iv reinstalled my operating system etc and still not working. It made sense in my mind that it was a charge building up that had to drain due to it working for about 5 hours then not turning back on for a day but the problem persists.

6. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Ok if issue still persists after OS reinstall, it IS, most likely, a hardware issue.

Remove the graphics card from the system and boot using onboard video. Does this work?

7. Jmack53m

Jmack53m Thread Starter

The same thing is still happening, no idea whats wrong with my PC.

8. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    So the issue is still there after removing the graphics card and using the onboard video, correct?

If that is correct t, then you almost certainly have a bad motherboard.

9. Jmack53m

Jmack53m Thread Starter

Think the best idea is to just replace the motherboard?

My computer only turns on sometimes and once i turn it off I have to leave it for a while before using it again.

One thing as well , I accidentally wiped windows 7 off of my SSD when reinstalling a fresh windows 10,
    how do I install it onto my ssd again? It still has all the files on it so I was confused when I couldn't boot up the ssd as it seems to be softer on my computer rather than the hard drive.

Thank you.

10. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    You need a Windows 7 Installation media to reinstall Windows 7 onto the SSD.

Yes I do think you should start with a new motherboard.
    Obviously, I cannot guarantee that will fix it, but that does seem to be the logical place to start.

11. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    One other thing I'd mention is it's possible it could be a bad power supply as well, but I am still leaning towards the Mobo.

Do you, by chance, have another PSU?

12. Jmack53m

Jmack53m Thread Starter

I don't , I can possibly try someone else's just the pain of taking all the wires out of everything and placing them into my computer , if that doesn't work I'll get a new mobo. I thought it might be the mobo or the power supply just wanted to see some other peoples thoughts on it if there was another solution to replacing parts.

Thank you for your help.

13. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Yup. Keep me posted. I am curious to know how you make out.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1191273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice