1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer upgrade, advice needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zraaviisen, Sep 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zraaviisen

Zraaviisen Thread Starter

Hello there!
    I'm getting some new hardware for my old beauty and i need some advice.
    Right now i have:
    AMD R9 390 Sapphire
    AMD FX 8350
    8 GB ram
    Some old motherboard
    Corsair CX 750m
    Samsung 120 GB SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
    Som wireless internet card thing. (Same slot as the video card i think)

What I'm thinking of getting:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/b/s68Ycf

I'm keeping my SSD, my seagate barracuda and my video card. Everything else is poof.

I'm not really that much into computers so any advice is appreciated. For exapample if everything will fit, if the speed on the ram sticks is good or if i should change anything else. The computer will be for gaming, video editing and music production. Mostly gaming though.
    I want the theme to be red so the case will probably be the red version of his case.
    Thank you.

2. phillpower2

phillpower2

3. Zraaviisen

Well not the keyboard or anything like that. Just the PC. (Minus the ssd's, hardrive and the gpu.)
    Sorry for being unclear, just found the build and wanted to roll with it.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just some advise;
    I have built two ryzen systems and while ryzen has incredible performance, building one is NOT for an inexperienced or new builder. In order to achieve good performance, you are going to have to do a lot of bios tweaking, bios updates, setting ram speed, timing, and vdimm manually, etc.
    I have two personal systems here; one intel 7600k [overclocked to 4.5gig] and one ryzen 1700x [overclocked to 3.8gig] On single core benchmarks, the intel has a slight advantage [not surprising since it is clocked quite a bit higher] On multicore benchmarks, ryzen blows intel out of the water. It is like intel should not even have shown up. The ryzen system literally doubles the intel score on cinebench cpu test.

Do understand, I am not telling you to go intel. I am saying that ryzen is not intel where you can slap parts together and get good performance. You are going to have to do quite a bit of tuning to get good performance out of ryzen.
    Be sure whatever ram you purchase is on the qvl or approved list for your motherboard.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item. You list a corsair cx pw supply. The cx line from corsair is not for any type of gaming, overclocking, or any other stressful endeavor. The cx series is for a basic build ie onboard video, running office, etc. Even corsair says as such on their site. See this quote from corsair;

6. Zraaviisen

Wait, what? Thats my power supply right now; i will change it to the one on the list. What do you mean?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Exactly what I said; it is NOT intended for any type of gaming or anything stressful. If you want a corsair pw supply, the only ones that I recommend for gaming are the AX, HX or RM models.
    CX pw supplies are fine for what they are designed to do; ie run office, email, watch a movie, etc. I use one in my home theater system however I would never think of gaming or overclocking that system.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1196394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice