1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vanth, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vanth

Vanth Thread Starter

Currently I'm thinking of upgrading a few parts on my computer and considered buying a Motherboard. Sadly hardware happens to be my weakest area; if anyone has any good ideas as to what motherboard (or if I should purchase one at all) or what part I should upgrade first. Thanks.

2. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7

What is your current setup? What is your budget?

3. Vanth

Vanth Thread Starter

Well I'm not home right now but from the top of my head:

Chieftec dragon midtower case
    AMD XP 2600
    512 DDR (not sure exact features)
    Can't remember my exact motherboard but its pretty standard (Which is why I would like to buy another one)
    Seagate 120 GB drive
    I'm not sure but I know its a 256MB video card...I think GeForce but again I"m not home.
    Windows XP pro.

Thanks for the help!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There is not any one component that you can upgrade and make a substantial improvement. If you really want to see a significant performance boost, you'll need just about everything new.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    ...and why are you considering an upgrade anyway? Are you having problems? Is it too slow when doing something? Your machine looks like it should be able to handle most thiings just fine.

6. koots

koots

Depending on his Video card, he/she could probably upgrade to somthing like a geforce 6800GT and notice a definate improvement. Ram is also an easy upgrade that does help speed things up and isnt too pricey.

7. Vanth

Vanth Thread Starter

Thats the conclusion I was coming too. Purchasing another memory stick and upgrading the VC. As of late the speed of my computer has dropped somewhat in comparision. The hardware seems fine and I do have a upgradded version of Mcafee virus protection and a few anti-spyware softwares that all come up blank. But every so often the decrease in speed is too noticable but doesn't make sense since I'm not running any appilcation that is out of the ordinary. Any suggestions?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. onemundaneso

onemundaneso

That's not entirely true, of course. Many applications use hardware acceleration, not just games. Obviously, it's not going decrease load times or assist in multitasking, but there are certainly areas other than gaming that will noticeably benefit from a video card upgrade.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't see the RAM as a performance enhancing upgrade for 99% of the applications that exist. Other than really huge graphics manipulation or large CAD models, 512mb is more than sufficient. The graphics card you already have is quite decent, though not the state of the art.

In truth, I think to see any significant performance boost, you'll be replacing most of the components you have.

11. brite750

brite750

Funny you should say that, I just had to upgrade to 2.5gig from 1gig for large Acad model, just to open the model used up 90% phys mem, with nothing else open, just at destop was 18%, wish you could turn some of that stuff that win2000 loads, got 4 slots maybe I'll talk them into 2 more dimms of 1gig for 4 total, that would be sweet. I dont think anything is as much of a memory pig as Autocad, games....hah, there nothing :D

12. brite750

brite750

This sounds more like a software problem ie malware, virus, trojan, spyware, maybe you just need a reformat to clean things up, Im a firm believer in formatting at least once/yr to keep windows running quick. If your not a heavy gamer that pc should be plenty quick enough...unless of course you got money to burn, let us know what apps you run.

13. brite750

brite750

I'm all for that :D

14. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

A complete rebuild with a shiny new P4 (or depends each CPU is good at different things) would be good for a big performance boost, if you have the money. (y)

15. Vanth

Vanth Thread Starter

I'll attempt to answer everyones questions. Right now I believe my video card is a nvidia 5200 256mb. Currently I have...adware se, spy-bot, bazooka and Mcafee as virus protection. Running windows xp office pro. Though I would love to reformate XP I do not have the start up disk. The version I have was installed when I put the PC together and I'm too cheap to buy an actual version. Is there any other way to get around that?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice