1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cadeus, Dec 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cadeus

cadeus Thread Starter

I am starting the process of upgrading my home computer.
    First step: motherboard.
    Can any one suggest a new motherboard that will support a AMD k6-2 400Mhz processor?
    Thanks

2. deuce

deuce

Do you have one sitting around? I'm not sure AMD makes those anymore. Last month I was poking through the AMD site when helping someone here and didn't see that one in the list. I'm also pretty sure there aren't motherboards left for that cpu. I'm not positive about any of that though. If I find one I'll post it.

3. brianF

brianF

I questioned the motherboard choice also for an upgrade. That's a socket7 processor and it will be hard to find a socket7 motherboard now adays, there just about obsolete.

Is there a specific reason you want that processor or motherboard.

4. deuce

deuce

Yes... I was thinking the same thing. Because it is so hard to find... if you want to go AMD then for what you will pay for the mobo, should you find one, a few dollars extra (literally, few enough to count with two hands) and you can get a mobo and cpu running in the 800 to 1000 range. It will also have more expandability, ect. and thus last longer. With Intel then it is a much bigger price difference. With the incredible mind-blowing speeds that technology advances these days... it is really more expensive and more of a hassel to upgrade than it is to just get a whole new system. Hell... wasn't that what upgrading was for? I guess you can say upgrading in general has now become obsolete as well... along with the mobo you are looking for.

5. cadeus

cadeus Thread Starter

sorry, I should have specified. THe AMD k6-2 is the cpu I have at the moment. I want to upgrade the motherboard, keeping my existing CPU and then upgrade the CPU at a later date...

However it sounds like I will have to upgrad the motherboard and cpu at the same time..?

ANy suggestions for a good mid-range set - needs to have AGP slot, ATA/100 standard etc...

?

6. deuce

deuce

I would suggest just getting a new mobo and cpu and using all the old stuff like the cd and HD, ect. with it. With AMD you might need to fork over around $100 to $150, but you really are just going to have a hard time finding stuff and trying to get it all working right. Trying to track down pc-66 SDRam that would work in my old compaq last year (only took Siemens) would cost about $60 to $70 for just 32mb. I mean come on... that's more expensive than 256 mb RDRam and that used to require a second mortgage. PC-133 SDRam is about $8 for 32mb at the very most. Save your time, money and energy and have more fun with a faster system. The older a computer gets, the harder it gets to upgrade as each day goes by. Before you know it, you'll wake up one morning and find that K6 will have turned into a mac. :D

7. deuce

deuce

(sorry... forgot to answer everything) As to your other question... any mobo without onboard video to my knowledge has AGP... and sometimes even a mobo with onboard still has it. Most mobos now also can use ATA/100. So in other words... as long as you stay away from onboard video... any mobo you find will have AGP and ATA/100... all you need to do then is find a nice, cheep mobo that suits your needs and a nice, cheep AMD cpu, around 1 Ghz--unless you want more--and for relatively nothing you will in effect have a brand new system. :D :D Thats all you need to do... play the game right and you can lead some nice deals. Technology moves so fast, if you pay just slightly too much it will have been a financial mistake within weeks or less because the value just dropped expoentially.

8. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

If you are running an older system, the case may be designed for an AT board. All the newer systems are ATX boards. The AT and ATX boards support many of the the same processors; but, the AT and ATX have different bolt patterns.

Also, if the system you are upgrading is a major brand, there is a good chance that it has a proprietary bolt pattern that will allow only boards from that particular manufacturer. In that case, the upgrade is usually cost-prohibitive.

9. cadeus

cadeus Thread Starter

crap - now that you mention it, I think it is a AT board...(anyway to check for sure) but it is not a major brand therefore should be OK in the latter department....
    But so I may need to purchas a whole now case as well...?

10. deuce

deuce

Oh yeah... I meant to meantion that about the mobo... thanks for bringing it up Alex. The mobo for the k6 is mostlikly AT, but might be ATX. ATX doesn't fit in a AT case, and I know for sure that compaq and I think HP also makes you buy all your replacement parts from them such as mobos because the have different bolt patterns to make you stick with them and such. Some ATX boards don't even fit in some ATX cases as well because I know for instance that a P4 ATX board won't fit in an ATX case for a PIII, so you might end up getting a new case as well, but there are good ones going for under $50.

11. deuce

deuce

Ok I see now you posted back. If it is an AT board you won't have a button on the front to turn it on with and you will have to use the switch on the back. Sorry but it looks like you are out another $50 or so and need a new case.

12. cadeus

cadeus Thread Starter

hang on, I do have a button on the front...
    hallelujah

13. deuce

deuce

Well then you might have an ATX. I haven't seen any but some AT boards might have the front button but I don't think so... so it looks like now you have avoided needing a new case. What is your power supply? You might not need a new case but you may need a bigger ps.

14. cadeus

cadeus Thread Starter

ahh..i am led to believe its an AT power supply. WOuld that be right?

15. deuce

deuce

What voltage does the label on the back of the ps say?

[EDIT: opps..... meant "voltage", not "wattage". Didn't notice the mistake. How stupid can I get? :rolleyes:]

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice