1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Upgrade compatible?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by daniel2471, Dec 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daniel2471

daniel2471 Thread Starter

I currently have a GeForce GTX 650 and am upgrading to a PNY GeForce GTX 960
    I have a 990FXA UD3 Motherboard
    and a AMD Fx 8350 Processor

I just have a view questions,
    - Will the motherboard fit the card?
    - Does the 960 take the same power as a 650?
    - Is the 960 compatible with my pc

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You didn't tell use what power supply you have, and that's key component for graphics card compatibility.

Here's the specs for the GTX 650: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-650/specifications
    It uses up to 64 watts of power.

Here's the specs for the GTX 960: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-960/specifications
    It uses up to 120 watts for power so a fair but more.

There are generally no 'fit' issues with motherboards, just needs a full size PCI-Express 16 slot which you do have. So aside from the unknown power supply it should be compatible.

3. daniel2471

how would i check that?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Open up you computer and the power supply will have a label on it, post the make and model.

5. daniel2471

Im not sure if i want to try and open it up, i might mess something up. Is there any other way?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How are you going to install the graphics card then? You need to open it up, there is no other way to know what power supply is actually installed in the computer.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The processor in your computers uses 125W of power.
    The graphic card that you want to upgrade to uses 120W of power and requires a minimum of a 400W power supply - which is shown in the webpage link that Rob provided you with.

It's my guess you want to upgrade the current graphic card so you can have better gaming quality.
    A quality power supply with sufficient wattage and 12-volt rail output is needed to meet the demands of its hardware and the demands of gaming.
    That's why it's important we know the description of the power supply.

Have you ever installed or replaced a graphic card before?

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1182928

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice