1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer upgrades need some Ideas

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gelst, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gelst

Gelst Thread Starter

Ok first off thanks for taking time to read the post and of course any help you offer would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to make this short and sweet, I'm a complete noob when it comes to building my own PC's. 2 years ago I knew what I was doing when I was buying parts to build my PC, now I am outdated and need to some upgrade advice.

PC runs fine ,I'm just looking for some good opinions on what would be the best upgrade for each part I link. Thanks for taking the time to help I greatly appreciate it. If this is posted in the wrong forum I apologize.

EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI FTW ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188026

BFG Tech BFGE88512GTSE GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143119

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8400

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

2. AGTT

AGTT

What is your budget?
    What specifications does your current computer have?
    What are you using your current computer for? What do you want to use the new computer for? Gaming? Other intense usage?

If you are willing to wait a while, the LGA 2011 along with Sandy Bridge and other such new things will be released later this year. This is a major release, so prices on previous components will drasticly drop (I hope) from their current price.

You could either get better components for the same money you have or you could get the same components for less money.

The parts you listed are OK for everyday usage, more than that, actually: we use computers less powerful at the college (no external video card), and work fine, considering we run some large programs, including virtual machines, which demand their own ressources, like another computer.

3. Gelst

Gelst Thread Starter

First off thanks for taking the time to reply I appreciate your help.

What is your budget? I could afford $200- $300 to spend right now any one item or stretch the money across the board for a few items.
    What specifications does your current computer have? Not sure what specifications you mean.. I think I posted most of the important parts of my PC. I have a mid size antec tower with room for 2 more sticks of ram, I have another slot for a video card.

What are you using your current computer for? What do you want to use the new computer for? Gaming? Other intense usage?

The only thing I use my computer for is playing WOW really, and of course browsing the internet but thats about it.

Yes the PC runs fine, It's just of course a little slower now that it's 2 years old and I was just looking for an upgrade or upgrades that would put a little more pep back into it's step. Since I built the computer a few years ago I have not kept up on newer computer parts so I wasnt sure where to start looking. I was thinking more along the lines of what is the most critical part that would benefit from an upgrade the video card, put more ram into it ? I'm sure a re format would help but not entirely.

4. AGTT

AGTT

Sorry, I think I misunderstood your query.

Do you own all the items listed already, or are you planning to buy them (to upgrade another, older PC)?
    I first thought you wanted to know if the items listed were OK to be bought.
    The specifications I was asking were for the older PC, thinking you want to buy the listed items to replace it.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have to leave now, as I am on the go, but I will coming back in a few hours, or maybe tomorrow if I cannot otherwise.

I apologize again.

5. Gelst

Gelst Thread Starter

Yes everythin I linked I own, I was wanting the best upgrade if there was one. Probably video card would get me the best upgrade.thanks again

6. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Why do you want to upgrade? What do you want to do that you either can't do now or could do a lot better with an upgrade?

The "right" upgrade depends solely on how you use the computer and what you need that you don't presently have.

If you are going to upgrade just because you feel like spending money, well... more memory is always good, and you can always burn cash on a video card upgrade.

7. AGTT

AGTT

The first thing you could get is memory.
    You can get another pair of the current type of memory and capacity you have, cause it's the best type your motherboard supports, and you already have half of the maximum amount of memory for the motherboard.

It is one of the cheapest basic components and ways you can increase your computer's performance.

This should be around $100 for a couple of 2 GB sticks.
    The next item on the list is the processor.
    You could get an Intel QX9770. It was released at $1'399, but it's much cheaper now, something like a few hundred dollars. It shouldn't be more than $450-$500, but this might be an overestimation. Around $200 would be the right price.

But it won't be that much of an performance increase, as you already have a similar one, just 200 MHz lower. The cache would probably say why you want to get this.
    The next thing would be the graphics card. The NVidia Tesla C2070 is something you should get, but it's more than $5'000. At this price, you might consider getting another motherboard, but it's probably the best thing you can get for a regular desktop motherboard, at the moment, if you ever have the money.
    Returning to reality, I think NVidia is a good choice, so try to find a card from it that you have the money for, and on which you want to spend it on. You can definitely look at other marks. I don't know what model to say, depends on how much more performance you want and what money you want to spend on just the video card. It is probably more expensive than the rest of a regular computer, put together, because it does have a processor with more cores than a CPU can have at the moment (hundreds GPU versus ten or so CPU), and memory by itself, making it much like another separate computer, so that is probably why it is expensive.

But for playing WoW, your current video card should handle it well enough. It's up to you.

But remember that you would need more powerful PSU, if you want even to add another card like the one you already have, as far as I know. And online power estimator should give you a rough estimate of what you need, like eXtreme Power Supply Calculator v2.5, Computer Power Supply Calculator, Thermaltake Power Supply Calculator, or Antec Power Supply Calculator.
    Having said that, I agree with "jiml8".

8. Gelst

Gelst Thread Starter

Thanks again, thats what I needed to know.. Guess ill reseasrch graphics cards to find the best upgrade since it seems like most,of my stuff is a little dated. Graphics card and ram I can handle that !thanks again I really appreciate you taking your time to respond.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice