Computer wants me to be too safe

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

holymegabyte

My computer has a very strange problem. It will randomly limit my browsing to secure web sites only. I don't see anything that causes it, sometimes it's in the middle of surfing the net, and sometimes I'll come back to my computer to find that I can't connect to "un-secure" sites. We have a small network, and mine is the only computer that has this problem. I've tried using different ports on the switch, I've even tried getting a different network card, still the same problem occurs. The only way to get it back to normal again is to disable the network connection and then enable it. The repair function doesn't work. I'm running Windows XP pro, with SP2. Oh also, other functions of the network still work, as in I can browse other computers, use outlook to check my email, chat on mIRC... Anyone know what's going on here?

holymegabyte

Great... Should I also "check my computer"? OR any other broad statements?

Anyone have any more specific ideas on whats going on?
This happens with any browser. I mainly use Firefox, but this also affects IE.

If you are using Internet Explore. Open it up and go to tools > Internet Options > Security. Check the default button if you are given that option. Try the same for the privacy tab. See if that allows access to all sites. If you want to keep the high lvl security, add those websites to your trusted list.

Couriant

James
in IE, go to Tools > Internet Options. Under Trusted Zones, Restricted Zones and Internet Settings and see what settings you have. Move them to low and see if you have the same problem. If so then download and install HighJackThis from www.majorgeeks.com (listed under Spyware on left). When you install it, launch the application. When it's up, click on Do System Scan and Create Logfile. It will ask you to save the file. Save it somewhere that you can find it (ie Desktop). Then open the file and copy the entire log and paste it here.

Couriant

James
BTW the reason you got just that is because I accidently pressed ALT + S too quickly which posted what i had there.

holymegabyte

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:58:24 PM, on 6/27/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
X:\Apps\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
X:\Apps\iPAQ Apps\ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
X:\Apps\Winamp\winamp.exe
X:\Apps\Microsoft Office XP\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
x:\Apps\Microsoft Office XP\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
X:\Apps\mIRC\mirc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
X:\Apps\FireFox\firefox.exe
X:\My Downloads\HijackThis.exe

N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://home.netscape.com/"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\16sfq7tk.slt\prefs.js)
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "http://www.google.com/"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\16sfq7tk.slt\prefs.js)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "X:\Apps\iPAQ Apps\ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Startup: Winamp.lnk = X:\Apps\Winamp\winamp.exe
O9 - Extra button: @btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - X:\Apps\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @btrez.dll,-4017 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - X:\Apps\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: Flash - {43CF38F3-5AEC-45a3-AD31-04EB06E9C6CA} - X:\Apps\Flash Saving Plugin\FlashSButton.dll (HKCU)
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0014-0001-0002-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1_02) -
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - WIDCOMM, Inc. - X:\Apps\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: MailEnable List Connector (MELCS) - Unknown owner - X:\Apps\Mail Enable\BIN\MELSC.EXE (file missing)
O23 - Service: MailEnable Mail Transfer Agent (MEMTAS) - Unknown owner - X:\Apps\Mail Enable\BIN\MEMTA.EXE (file missing)
O23 - Service: MailEnable Postoffice Connector (MEPOCS) - Unknown owner - X:\Apps\Mail Enable\BIN\MEPOC.EXE (file missing)
O23 - Service: MailEnable POP Service (MEPOPS) - Unknown owner - X:\Apps\Mail Enable\BIN\MEPOPS.EXE (file missing)
O23 - Service: MailEnable SMTP Connector (MESMTPCS) - Unknown owner - X:\Apps\Mail Enable\BIN\MESMTPC.EXE (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PDScheduler (PDSched) - Raxco Software, Inc. - X:\Apps\Perfect Disk\PDSched.exe

Couriant

James
I don't see anything that could cause it. Can you confirm that you have a X: ?

holymegabyte

Ya I have a X: drive. Well what else could it be, other than some kind of spyware or virus?

holymegabyte

What could I do to fix this? I was suprised that a new network card didn't work. Anyone have any ideas?

You know you have a small network? Do you have a server?
Because I had this problem because Windows 2003 server installs that rubbish high security IE thingy - just a thought that maybe your settings are linked to this - Don't know if that'll help

JoneeJay

holymegabyte

No, we don't have a windows 2003 server. Or any kind of server. The weird thing is that it happens randomly. One minute I'll be able to view a site, the next I won't be able to. Untill I reset the lan connection. So no one knows what's going on here?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online