computer was 1.6ghz now 1.2ghz??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cocohead3

ok my computer kept randomly restarting and freezing up so i reinstalled windows and i took out the processor and cleaned the heatsink and all the computer parts. after i got done installing the windows xp there were no random restarts and no freezing but the boot menu and system properties say it is now 1.2ghz and used to be 1.6ghz i was thinking i have to much things hooked up to the computer i have 2 hard drives a dvd drive and a graphics card that requires 250 watts or greater power supply. the computer specs are:
windows xp x32
AMD Athlon xp 1900+
Visiontek radeon x1300 256mb PCI
300 Watt power supply
1.5gb ddr ram

Edit: so u think if i change the battery it could mabey do something also ive tried looking for the multiplier along time ago when i got the computer and i couldnt find an option to change it, its set to 12 and cannot be changed. and i dont think this is just a reporting error because when this problem wasnt here the option to change the speed of the processor at next boot was 133 which was 1.6ghz now its like at 100 i think..

fairnooks

Banned
You could check in the BIOS if you haven't and see if the processor multiplier is set correctly and set it if its not. If you have a dead CMOS battery this info can be lost when all power is removed and on power up, the system uses the default setting.

Otherwise you should get a CPU benchmark program and make sure its not just a reporting error. Having a bunch of stuff attached might burden the processor and slow things down some but it wouldn't actually cause the processor to have a slower operating speed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online