1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer was running 10 minutes ago now dead please help me

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Frustrated34567, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Frustrated34567

Frustrated34567 Thread Starter

Dell Computer
    2.8 Ghz proc
    512MB Memory
    800 Mhz Bus speed

Im not anywhere near a average person on computer knowledge so not sure what all you need.

Well here is the problem:

My computer was running 10 minutes ago just fine no problems nothing. It has been on all day and it was gettign a little laggy playing games so i restarted it. Now this is what happens.

I push power on the computer and it boots up. Dell comes across the screen then you have the press F2 for setup F12 boot menu i do not do anything. i let it run. then it acts like its going to load but goes to a black screen and does nothing. I cant do anything. I ran a hardware test and says everything passed. A couple times it comes up with "Floppy Diskette Seek Failure." Now this computer is like a year old so it doesnt even have a floppy disk. Just a cd-rom. I found out how to get past that with turning off the option to try and find the floppy. But after the Dell screen it acts like its about to load but it doesnt. Its like on a playstation2 the playstation2 logo comes up and then it goes to the black screen so it can load but it just stays at the black screen and wont do anything.

Any help would be appreciated i will be checking the posts and stuff so if you need additional info just let me know. Thanks.

2. jmwills

jmwills

Hit F8 and choose "Boot to last Know Good Configuration".

3. Frustrated34567

k ill try that thanks

4. Frustrated34567

umm when am i supposed to push f8 i tried it but it didnt do anything before i got to the freezing black screen

5. F1Technology

F1Technology

heres your problem... its a DELL! lol!
    No offence intended but ALL the experience i have had with dell is not good. a lot of long, unpaid and frustrationg hours has been spent on these.
    Does the computer completely turn off? as in lights and all? or is the machine still on but the display is blacked out? and is the screens backlight on or not? (assuming its an LCD)

6. Frustrated34567

yea its a LCD....computer still has power to it but its like its on permamnent standby mode. The monitor still stays on (green light is still on in the corner) btu the screen is black. Nothing comes up after the dell part loads.

7. F1Technology

F1Technology

ok, im leaning towards the video card/video driver playing up. Do you have a dedicated video card? or an onboard unit?

steel

8. Frustrated34567

umm whatever came with it...i havent put one in if thats what you mean

9. F1Technology

F1Technology

ok, take a quick look at the back of system. Easiest way to do this is follow the blue lead from the moniter to the back of your computer where all your USB, power, printer, broadband lines go, there could be a blue coloured jack that goes from your computer into your monitor, it has a selection of male pins. If that is near the rest of the leads that go into your computer you have whats called an onboard graphics processing unit.

If that lead plugs in further down the tower, you will have a dedicated unit.

steel

10. Frustrated34567

The part where you hook up the monitor cable to the cpu...that blue piece is attached to the motherboard there is no card with it its just the blue part thats connected to the mother board. sry if i seem illiterate with this stuff im not too good at it

11. F1Technology

F1Technology

Dont be! We all have to start somewhere, im happy to help! :)

im just trying to think... You dont have any XP discs at all do you? for a repair off the CD? Dells usually have a resource cd, a drivers cd and then an applications cd. Im just wondering weather we can do a repair using dells disks.... be back to you shortly

steel

12. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

What model Dell is it? Some Dells come with XP cds. Others have a resore partition that can be accessed by pressing f11 (I believe) on start up. My wife's Dell 3000 came with both, an XP cd and a restore partition.

13. Frustrated34567

It gives me the option to restore partitions through setup and i have 2 cd's operating system cd and drivers and utilities

14. Frustrated34567

oh says model is DV051 series

15. Frustrated34567

I tried putting the xp cd in there to reinstall it or repair it but i choose to boot from cd.
    Then the screen goes black and nothign happens

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!