1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer went from fast to SUPER slow & other problems after reinstalling OS (Vista)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kamikazemike6, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kamikazemike6

kamikazemike6 Thread Starter

Hello, I am using a Dell XPS M1330. Recently I did a clean install of my OS (Vista 32-bit). Before the install my computer was running fast and drivers were all working and whatnot. But after the clean install I am plagued with problems. Specifically,

1. Computer Start-up takes ages, and while booting after the initial load screen there is a pause where there just shows the basic windows background with nothing on the screen (background is not my set desktop) for about 30 seconds before continuing to load windows and desktop.

2. After clean install my computer is right off the bat super super slow. Running even one program, such as the internet is difficult and the pages open super slow. Windows explorer files open so slow that I can see them open in slow motion, from top to bottom. Before the OS reinstallation this was not a problem and my computer could run many programs at once at high speeds as it is supposed to do. I have tried updating drivers which doesnt seem to help at all.

3. I have an NVIDIA 8400m gs Graphics card, but after the clean install I am not able to update the card to the latest drivers from the manufacturers website. The installation seems to be going fine until it fails randomly.

3. The M1330 is known to have overheating problems, so I use a program called I8kfanGUI to force the fan to high speed. But since the clean install, the program will not connect to the fan to speed it up. In fact, the fan doesn't seem to speed up at all even when the computer gets really hot.

If anybody can help me with any one of these problems, or sees connections between several of them PLEASE HELP. This is super frustrating. Thank you very much.

2. fel1x

fel1x

appears you may have a auto bios reset so suggest you access bios to see especially if you have saved a bios configuration

re start up start type msconfig enter look at start up tab , with a dell especially you may well see numerous programmes starting with windows, remove all to do a clean boot

for the graphics suggest remove old drivers re boot then reinstall from your saved installer

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

its possible that after a new installation your disc is fragmented very badly

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice