Computer will no longer start up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

agent_washingtub

This problem presented itself about a week ago when I restarted my pc to install updates. It no longer seems to fully power up.
I press the power button, it lights up, all the fans seem to work, graphic card fan is running and power light is green, but no signal gets sent to the monitor. No beeps, no bios. Everything seems to turn on, except there is no display signal and my mouse and keyboard do not light up. After pc is on, regardless of time, one short press of the power button turns it off instantly. At no time does the pc beep at all. There is no change when I connect the monitor through the motherboard instead of the graphics card, either with or without the graphics card connected.
Also, if I sit there and turn it on and off repeatedly (like literally hundreds of times) the pc will sometimes turn on like normal, after which there is no visible problem until the pc is turned off once again.
I have tried booting with only power and display connected, no change. Have waiting extended periods of time before booting (with power plugged and not plugged in), no change.
Pc is a pre-assembled dell, only parts manually installed are 600W power supply and GTX 760 graphics cards, both installed over 2 years ago. I'm running windows 8.1, i5-3330,8g ram.

I have no spare parts to swap in and out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, the pc is currently off, I cannot get it started at this time.
I figure this must be a hardware failure, but I'm not sure what.

What u describe sounds like a classic example of a failing power supply

agent_washingtub

Would that explain why it only fails when I turn it on? I figured a power supply problem would make the pc turn off randomly, but mine only ever have problems turning on.
Also, any recommended brands for a replacement?

agent_washingtub

Thank you for the advice, I will get a new power supply soon and confirm if that was the problem.

what psu did u buy
did u plug in the two motherboard power plugs..... 24 pin & 4/8 pin

That is a surprise!
That is a decent power supply
Have u pulled the ram and tried only one....etc
Honestly it could be motherboard failure at this point

agent_washingtub

Yep, tried with and without every component I could think of. Motherboard was my original thought. I guess I gotta go replace that now. I let you know. it's gonna be at least another week. Meanwhile, hopefully I can get it running again in less than 1000 startups lol.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online