computer will no longer start

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brolga63

Windows 98 executed fatel error and will not restart after reboot- ie: black screen and flashing horizontal cursor.

Boot disk and CD ROM will get as far as Checking System registry, but then tells me the following:

'Windows found an error in your system files and was unable to fix the problem. Try deleting some files to free up disk space on your windows drive. If that does not work then you need to install windows to a new directory'.

So basically, what do I do now? Hitting enter only returns me to "remove the floppy disk and hit any key to restart your computer. From there we go back to the black screen again

Is the system recoverable? I have no objections to wiping the hard drive and starting again, as there is no significant files to lose.

Would appreciate any help with either the recovery process or the wiping process, as this is a little outside my scope.

Styxx

Banned
What brand of computer are you using - HP, Compaq, non-propietary unit?

Styxx

Banned
Boot to Safe Mode

(tap F8 five times per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted).

Backup all your Sensitive Data (Internet Explorer Favorites; Netscape Bookmarks, Address Book and Netscape Mail Folders; Outlook Express Address Books and Folders (compress any Netscape Mail or Outlook Express folders first) letters, pictures, databases, spreadsheets, music, etc.) to removable media for restoring later.

brolga63

Thanks Styxx, but no joy. Various attempts all result in the line:
A:\>

I don't have a clue what to do next.
Like I said, I have no problem doing a full wipe of the hard drive and reinstalling windows again, as it is not my primary computer any more. But I will need help with that process.

For info: it's a non-propriety unit, running Intel processor.
Cheers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online